Chapter 2

Lilypetal's POV

It seems like I had only slept for a few heartbeats when I opened my eyes at sunrise. I lifted my head slowly to see that many cats were missing from the den, including Thornclaw, who had been sleeping next to me.

I stood up quickly and trotted out of the den. The clearing seemed pretty empty, because the patrols had probably just been sent out. The first thing I saw when I left my den was Firestar and Smudge talking under the Highledge.

As soon as I came into view to the camp, Firestar turned his head towards me.

"Lilypetal, why don't you join us?" he meowed while gesturing to the leader's den.

I gave a single nod and then followed them as they entered the den.

I was excited. I knew I was going to find out a lot from this talk. After not seeing Smudge for so many moons, I was ready to catch up.

We all sat down and Firestar began to speak.

"We had just been talking about Princess," he stated,"Lilypetal, so you knew her back when you lived in the forest?"

I nodded.

"Yeah, definitely not as well as Smudge knew her, but we spoke with each other a lot," I answered.

"She'll be so excited to hear that I found you guys!" Smudge exclaimed.

I gave another nod excitedly.

"So, I am shocked to hear that you two know each other?" Firestar said to Smudge and me.

Smudge and I looked at each other and smiled.

"Yes, we did!" Smudge meowed,"She was a little kit still when I first met her."

I let out a purr of laughter.

"Really? Now that I think about it, I don't remember actually meeting you at all!" I explained.

"You were pretty young," Smudge said,"You were so quiet at first, but my awesome personality made you talk a little more."

I let out another purr. It was so nice talking about all of this. I barely thought about my kittypet life anymore.

Smudge purred. "The kittypet life is pretty good, you guys," he started,"I don't know what made you all leave it."

Firestar and I both purred.

"It was good while it lasted," I said.

Firestar nodded in agreement.

"Sure, I always had warmth and food there for me, but I wouldn't rather be anywhere else than here, leading my Clan."

I blinked in happiness at Firestar.

I honestly didn't agree much with what he said. Besides getting to play with the other house cats, I didn't find kittypet life very exciting. The food was gross, you always had to go to the vet, and you were trapped within such a small barrier.

I had always dreamt of escaping and finding something more. I didn't think it would actually happen though.

I turned to Firestar.

As we talked about all of these things from the past, it made me think of something.

"When exactly was I taken by the Twoleg?" I asked him.

Firestar thought about it for a few heartbeats.

"Hm, it was after the BloodClan battle, and just a little before Brambleclaw and Squirrelflight disappeared. Your mother was still pretty new to the Clan," he answered.

"Wait a moment," Smudge said,"Taken?"

I nodded.

"I wasn't always a kittypet. My mother gave birth to me in the Clans, but a Twoleg took the both of us and we were each taken to a Twoleg nest," I explained.

"Wow," Smudge said.

He shook his head quickly.

"Now that I think about it, you kind of just came out of nowhere. You didn't have a mother that I knew of, and it was just you, not any other kits in the litter."

My kit life was pretty crazy before I became a kittypet, and I don't remember much of it. My mother gave birth to me in the middle of ThunderClan territory, with the help of Cinderpelt. I was still a tiny kit when the BloodClan battle took place, and not too long after that, I was taken to a Twoleg nest. I was probably only 3 moons up until that point.

"I know you found out who your mother is, but did you ever find out about your father?" Smudge asked.

Firestar and I exchanged a nervous look.

"Yes, I did," I said hesitantly.

Smudge looked confused.

"Who could it possibly be that would make you this nervous?" he asked.

"Smudge, do you remember the leader of BloodClan?" Firestar asked.

Smudge nodded.

"I believe so, he was a tiny little guy. Scourge, I think?"

My heart skipped a beat just hearing the name, but he was my father.

Firestar gave a nod and then he nodded to me.

Smudge's eyes became very wide.

"How could such a weed create such a sunflower?" he asked.

I smiled at him and shrugged.

I was a little uncomfortable with the current topic, so I decided to change it.

"How did you and Smudge meet?" I asked Firestar.

Firestar let out a little purr of laughter and looked at Smudge.

"Ah, we just grew up together," he answered, smiling.

"I couldn't believe after all of that you said you were gonna leave me!" Smudge meowed, teasingly.

"It took a lot before I finally decided to go," Firestar said,"I know I made the right choice, but I did miss you a lot, Smudge."

I smiled at the both of them. It must've been so exciting for Firestar and Smudge to see each other after such a long time.

Before Firestar could say another word, a yowl came from outside.

The three of us looked at each other and then left the den quickly.

As we came into the clearing, we saw Squirrelflight burst out of the camp entrance, with Brambleclaw, Brightheart, and Cloudtail following close behind.

She had something in her mouth.

As I squinted my eyes to see more closely, and then hearing the weak meow, I realized what it was.

A kit!