Chapter 14

Lilypetal's POV

As I walked over to the warriors den, absolutely exhausted, I reflected on the most recent happenings in my life.

Thank StarClan that Swiftkit is okay, I thought to myself, but what in Silverpelt made him decide that escaping camp was a good idea, especially since he had been recovering in the medicine den before he left?

I was suddenly overcome with guilt. I had already apologized to Goldenshine profusely, but I still felt terrible that I had been on guard at the time Swiftkit had supposedly snuck out of camp. I tried to push the guilt away as I crawled into the warriors den.

Thornclaw wasn't in our usual nest yet. He's probably doing a later patrol, I realized as I lied down and tried to get comfortable.

I put my head down on the soft moss and watched the moon slowly rise up in the midst of Silverpelt. I then closed my eyes and began to drown in my own thoughts, not being able to fall asleep just yet.

As the Swiftkit situation left my mind, my head then filled with ease and comfort. Besides the situation with Swiftkit and his little squabble, the Clan and the rest of the lake seem to be at peace, I realized.

It was true. There hadn't seemed to have been any conflicts at all within ThunderClan or with the other Clans at all lately. We were letting each other be, which honestly seemed rare to me.

And, now that Ashfur was dead, I didn't have to worry about his treachery anymore. Unfortunately, it had to happen at the cost of Snowflight, but I was thankful that he now couldn't do more harm to Squirrelflight, anyone of her kin, or myself or anyone of my kin.

I suddenly felt a nervous pang in my stomach. Right? I then felt a strong sense of foreboding. I wasn't sure why.

Trying to shake off my nervous feelings, I adjusted myself to a more comfortable position in my nest and tried to let sleep overcome me.

Just as darkness seemed to capture me, my eyes opened again. I found myself in a dark, shadowy forest. The earth under me was wet and muddy. Tall trees hovered over the clearing I was in, and bramble bushes seemed to surround me.

Is this StarClan? I asked myself. If so, they sure do need to relocate.

I started to wander around the area, gaping my mouth to see if I could catch any other scents.

For some reason, I felt my fur start to bristle, and tension seemed to surround me.

If this is StarClan, why is it making me so nervous? I asked myself. A realization then shot into my mind.

This is the Dark Forest.

I continued forward. Just as a cat's stench flooded through my nostrils, I heard the shudder of bushes behind me.

I quickly unsheathed my claws and turned on the cat who was emerging from the bushes.

My heart seemed to drop to the floor as I immediately recognized who it was.

This gray tom with dark patches was a sight that I never thought that I would have to see again.

I had no words. I didn't know if I wanted to sink down to the ground and wail, or throw myself at him and shred his fur off.

Rather than either of these things, I found myself slowly starting to back away. I suppose my unconscious mind was reminded of all that this cat had done to me, my friends, and my kin.

You threatened Squirrelflight, attempted to murder Firestar, Jayfeather, Lionblaze and Hollyleaf... you killed my daughter, and I'm sure would've killed the other if you'd gotten the chance.