Chapter 18

Swiftkit's POV

I let out a screech of determination as I leaped in front of Snowkit and batted the moss ball out of the reach of her paws. I dove head-first into the ground and then rolled over, my back against the dry earth.

Cherrykit and Molekit let out purrs of amusement as Snowkit padded over to me and swiped her paw over my ear.

"Mouse-brain!" she exclaimed, pretending to be angry, "I so had that!"

"Then why did I catch it?" I teased to Snowkit, smirking.

"Whatever!" Snowkit purred, rolling her eyes.

My mouth gaped open into a yawn as Snowkit batted the mossball over to Molekit.

It had been quite the day, but it had all gone in my favor!

After Jayfeather and Goldenshine had allowed me to go out and play for a while, Jayfeather had called me back into the medicine den once ThunderClan had left for the gathering. He checked my wounds one more time, and told me that I was fine to go back to the nursery!

Thank StarClan for letting my wounds heal quickly! Jayfeather had originally thought I'd have to stay in the medicine den another night!

Also, luckily, I had been out in the open to witness the conflict that had happened after ThunderClan had gotten back from the gathering.

That dumb kittypet, I thought. Poor Lilypetal. It must have been really scary to have her loyalty questioned...

I then felt a pang in my stomach as I thought about this. What if more cats found out that I was training in the Dark Forest? I wondered. They would hammer me as much as Lilypetal.

I was interrupted from my thoughts when suddenly my eyes were overtaken by a flash of green, and I suddenly found myself spitting bits of moss out of my mouth. I shook my head quickly and then focused to see that Snowkit, Cherrykit and Molekit were howling with laughter, rolling around on the ground.

"Who's the moss ball champion now?" Snowkit meowed in triumph as she stood up, lashing her tail.

Just as I was about to leap into a play-fight with Snowkit, my nose was filled with the familiar scent of my mother, and I felt Goldenshine touch her muzzle to my head.

"As much as I'm sure you want to shred Snowkit to bits," Goldenshine murmured, "I think it's about time you went to sleep!"

Me, along with the other kits, let out groans of disappointment. I was exhausted, not that that was necessarily a surprise, but it felt as if me and the other kits had been playing for only a few heartbeats. I wanted to play for all of eternity!

"Aw, come on, kits!" Goldenshine meowed. "You have another day waiting for you, tomorrow!"

I nodded. Goldenshine's right! I thought. We can play all day tomorrow!

As the other kits began to trot into the nursery, I quickly followed behind, trying to catch up to Snowkit. She narrowed her eyes and smirked at me as I caught up to her.

"Goldenshine is right," I meowed to her out loud, teasingly. "Tomorrow, I'll gather all of the mossballs I can find, and I'll throw them all in your face!"

Snowkit let out a purr of amusement. "Not if I do it first!" she purred. I lightly cuffed Snowkit over the face with a sheathed paw before padding over to Goldenshine in her nest.

Before I was able to settle down, Cherrykit passed by. She seemed to be observing my flank.

"It looks like your wounds are all better!" she pointed out, excitedly. "Are you feeling better?"