Chapter 9

Goldenshine's POV

Oh no, what's Thornclaw yowling on about? I asked myself as I took a peek out of the medicine den.

I turned my head towards the camp entrance to see Leafpool, Birchfall, Thornclaw, and Dusty walking into the camp. Dusty was a little ways behind with his head and tail down. I suddenly realized that it had been Dusty that Thornclaw was yelling at.

What happened?

I stayed where I was as I saw Thornclaw suddenly start to scold Dusty some more. It was in a lower voice, so I couldn't hear exactly what was being said.

Firestar also seemed to have heard what I had as the patrol had walked back into camp. He walked up to Thornclaw, who was now just shaking his head slowly at Dusty, who hadn't looked up since he'd come back.

"What happened?" Firestar asked as he approached Thornclaw.

Thornclaw flicked his tail, gesturing to Dusty. "This little furball saw a rabbit and thought it would be fun to chase it into WindClan territory, where he eventually was able to catch it! He stole WindClan prey!"

I tilted my head in fascination. He caught a rabbit? Wow!

Firestar remained level-headed, but his eyes narrowed. "Was he caught by a patrol?"

Thornclaw hesitated and then answered, "Well, no... but that doesn't make it right, Firestar!"

Firestar ignored Thornclaw's tone. "I do agree with you on that part, Thornclaw, but this was Dusty's first patrol. He just wanted to come along, didn't he? I'm sure you gave him enough scolding to learn for the next time."

Thornclaw didn't say anything else, and just snorted as he walked over to the fresh-kill pile with the rest of the cats that had been on patrol. I saw Lilypetal walk up to Thornclaw and start to rub her tail gently along his flank, trying to calm him down.

I watched my parents, my stomach suddenly twisting. It had felt so long since I had had a relationship like that, with Breezepelt.

I still missed him, of course. He was known to be a brutal and snappy cat, but with me, he was so gentle and kind. But honestly, all of our times together felt like a distant memory. We were from different Clans; it would have never worked.

As hard as it was, I think I had managed to move on from the whole situation.

And it brought me Swiftkit, I realized, my heart beginning to swell as I looked back towards the medicine den where he was sleeping. As strangely as he's been acting lately, I love him with all of my heart.

Still deep in my thoughts, I managed to catch Dusty's gaze, who hadn't moved from his spot since the encounter with Firestar. He gave me a weak smile and walked over to me, still with his tail down. When he was a tail-length from me, he sat down and wrapped his tail around his paws.

"I can't believe how stupid I was," he began. "I heard Thornclaw yelling at me when I starting chasing the rabbit, but I didn't listen."

I took a step closer to him and put my tail on his shoulder. "Hey, it's no big deal, really! Don't worry, my father tends to have quite a short temper and makes things more than what they need to be. And it was your first time on patrol! You're bound to make mistakes."

Even though Dusty's head was still down, I could tell that a small smile was beginning to form again on his face.

I continued, "And, hey, you caught the rabbit, didn't you? That's amazing!"

Dusty quickly lifted his head to look at me finally, his eyes suddenly sparkling. "Really?"

I nodded. "Absolutely! They're so swift and fast, it requires a lot of determination and concentration! It seemed to take me forever to finally nail catching a rabbit!" I explained to him.

Dusty listened to me intently as I spoke, his blue eyes still sparkling. "Wow... thank you, Goldenshine!" He said, sounding much brighter. After a couple of heartbeats he took a step closer to me. "You know... I'd love to learn some more hunting skills from you," he said shyly. "Maybe you could show me how to stay inside the ThunderClan border this time, heh..."

For some reason, my heart skipped a beat looking at Dusty's bashful and hopeful gaze.

He wants to spend time with me, I realized, my stomach suddenly fluttering.

I really wanted to join him, but I had Swiftkit in the medicine den, recovering from an infection.

I can't leave him, I realized, pushing down my excitement. I looked back at Swiftkit and then back to Dusty. "Aw, Dusty, I'd love to, but I should stay with Swiftkit while he rests." As much as I hated saying the words, it needed to be done.

Dusty's hopeful gazed saddened, but as he smiled and began to nod in understanding, I heard Jayfeather's footsteps come from the back of the medicine den.

He walked up to sit by Swiftkit in his nest. "Swiftkit will be fine." My eyes widened as he went on, teasingly, "I could do without you breathing down my neck for a little while. You can check on Swiftkit once you get back."

As Jayfeather was speaking, I noticed a sort of... knowing look in his blind eyes.

What is he up to? I thought, and my heart dropped as I realized exactly what.

Does he think I like Dusty? I wondered, suddenly coming to a revelation. Do I? I mean, he seems like a really sweet tom, and talented, clearly, and handsome... but I barely know him yet!

Without Dusty seeing, I tilted my head and looked at Jayfeather with a smirk on my face and eyes narrowed as I realized what his motive was. All he did was flick his tail towards the den entrance and say, "Okay, now seriously, get out of here before I make myself gain sight and claw your sorry flank out of here!"

I let out a purr of amusement and followed Dusty out of the den. As prickly as Jayfeather was most of the time, I was glad to have him as a friend. We've shared a lot together. We together avenged Snowflight, and we've stuck together as we've both grieved for her and confined in each other since she had "returned" to the Clan. Family aside, I probably trusted him more than any cat in ThunderClan.

And I guess I'll trust him as he tells me I can leave my son with him to go out hunting with a handsome tom, I joked to myself.

Speaking of, Dusty's eyes had seemed to be glowing as he realized I could come with him. My stomach began to flutter again as I began to walk towards the camp entrance, my mind swirling with a bunch of new thoughts.

He really seems to want to go out hunting with me... is he thinking the way I am? I wondered, but suddenly shaking my head quickly, I'm probably reading too much into this.

I wasn't too sure, but I had almost seemed to be falling into my same trap that I had fallen into with Breezepelt. It had only taken him a few words to convince me to meet with him that night. Of course, I regretted it now, and I never wanted to make a mistake like that again.

Dusty isn't in a different Clan though... I realized, but my heart dropped as I came up with another impediment. But he's a kittypet. He and Pippy seem to like it here, but it probably won't last long. He'll probably be gone within a few sunrises.

I seemed to forget these sad thoughts of Dusty leaving as soon as I looked up at his sparkling gaze as he waited by the camp entrance. Suddenly realizing how excited I was for this hunting trip, I quickly trotted towards Dusty to follow him into the forest.