Chapter 27

Goldenshine's POV

I had been awake for a while, but I wasn't doing anything about it.

I had woken up from my sleep a little past moonhigh, and I couldn't fall back asleep. For what had felt like moons, I just lied in my nest on my side, looking out at the disappearing moon. I was dreading the dawn ahead of me.

It had felt like moons since I had walked into a battle, and that was probably literally the case. The last time I was in any sort of combat with another cat was when I killed Ashfur, I realized. I hope I don't get as carried away this time...

As the moon finally completely disappeared behind the trees, I heard cats begin to stir in their nest. By their swift and quick movements, I could tell they were eager to face the potential battle ahead.

As many cats began to crawl out of the den, I finally pushed myself to stand up, stretch, and then follow everyone out of the warriors den. Many cats were gathered near the camp entrance, Firestar standing closest, ready to lead his Clan to the border they were fighting for.

I let out a small huff and shook my head slowly as I began to pad over to join everyone else. Great StarClan, how I wish that we could've established all of this peacefully.

I had a really bad feeling. I wasn't sure why. I hadn't said anything to Firestar, and I wouldn't dare do so, but I wondered if we could've taken more time to figure this out, rather than leap into battle based on an apprentice's supposed sign.

But it sure isn't like Firestar to send his Clan into battle when it isn't needed. It must be important. I have to trust him.

I took a deep breath and released, almost as if to let go of the anxious thoughts I was having, before settling down next to Foxleap and Icecloud.

I decided that I really needed to strike a conversation with someone, otherwise I would freak myself out so much that I would back out of the battle. I nudged Foxleap on the shoulder to get his attention. "Hello, there!" I meowed, trying to suppress the "shake" in my voice.

Foxleap and Icecloud immediately turned to me, their eyes bright. I wish I could look like that right now...

"Hi, Goldenshine!" Icecloud purred. "Are you ready for this?"

I hesitated, truly not sure if I was ready for this. "Well, I-"

"I am!" Foxleap meowed, cutting me off. I was almost glad he did. A glimmer of humor in his eyes, he then muttered, "It's been a while since I've tasted ShadowClan blood."

"Great StarClan, Foxleap!" Icecloud exclaimed, flicking her brother's ear. "Your name may be Foxleap, but you're certainly not a fox!"

I managed to let out a purr of amusement. "If cat blood is what you want, you might as well go live with the foxes and join in their schemes!"

Just to my luck, just as I was beginning to let my worries fly away like a chaffinch, Firestar gave the yowl to signal that it was time to head out into the forest. As cats began to crawl through the camp entrance, I trailed behind Foxleap and Icecloud, my head facing the ground.

Foxdung, foxdung, foxdung... I kept cursing to myself as my vision was then taken over by the several bushes and trees of ThunderClan territory. Foxdung, foxdung...

I then shook my head quickly. Maybe not fighting in so long and becoming a queen has made you soft, I thought.

I then couldn't suppress a snort. What are you doing? I asked myself. Swiftpaw is an apprentice now, and I'm a warrior again! Filled with a new hope, I then realized, this battle is exactly what I need.