Chapter 22

Lilypetal's POV

I took a heavy, deep breath as I watched Jayfeather hover over Thornclaw for what felt like the hundredth time. I sat close by, trying to interpret every single facial expression or action that Jayfeather made. It seemed to be at least half of how I had been spending my time for days, now.

Thornclaw had now been lying in the medicine den for a quarter of a moon now, and to my dismay, he didn't seem to be getting much better. The smallest spark of hope that I had was the fact that I had watched him pop in and out of consciousness at least twice. Unfortunately though, each time I had been there to see that happen, Jayfeather would then kick me out of the medicine den immediately, because I would press him with countless questions.

After about half a day would pass by, luckily, Jayfeather would let me back in.

When I wasn't in the medicine den, I was trying to keep extremely busy. I had to be doing something, otherwise my mind would go immediately to the image of my potentially dying mate, and the worst case scenario. I had tried to go on every patrol that was offered to me. I felt like I did at least two hunting patrols and one border patrol a day.

When I wasn't doing that, I was in the medicine den or eating a meal with many other cats to distract me. Luckily the Clan had been very kind to me, inviting me on their patrols and offering to eat with me.

I had actually just finished a quick meal with Cloudtail, Brightheart and Whitewing at sunhigh when I decided to check in on Jayfeather and my mate.

"Jayfeather..." I murmured to the gray tabby tom, after I had watched him tend to Thornclaw for many heartbeats.

Jayfeather let out a loud huff and rolled his deep blue eyes towards me. "Lilypetal, if you ask me one more time how Thornclaw is, I'll give you a few scratches and throw you into this nest with him."

I couldn't suppress a small hiss as I flattened my ears. Obviously, I knew that Jayfeather hadn't meant what he said, but it probably would still sound incredibly upsetting to some.

I just sighed and shook my head slowly. Sometimes I wonder how Snowflight was able to tolerate him for so long...

I then suddenly felt a large pang of sympathy towards Jayfeather. Clearly he was just incredibly frustrated right now, and I wasn't making things any better for him. I had to give him lots of credit, for he was spending all of his time trying to save Thornclaw, as difficult as he thought that it may be to do.

And, he was doing it all by himself. Leafpool dropped in whenever she could, and when Jayfeather would let her, but Jayfeather was carrying most of the burden.

If only Snowflight was still here, I realized. She would be such a big help with all of this pressure that Jayfeather is under...

I then shook my head quickly. Well, I suppose she kind of is... but nevertheless, I don't think that Snowkit would have all of the expertise she would need to grasp, unfortunately.

After I took a few heartbeats to compose myself after Jayfeather's words. "Sorry. I'll leave you alone," I muttered. "But I'm coming back later. Count on that."

Jayfeather simply let out a small grunt as I left the medicine den. I sat just a fox-length in front of the entrance, suddenly realizing how much I was shaking.

I don't know how much more I can take of this, I realized to myself. I miss Thornclaw so much. I'm so scared. I just want to know if there's any hope, but the more Jayfeather treats him, the less he'll tell me.

I suddenly felt my eyes well up with overwhelming emotion. I'm so, so scared...

I couldn't suppress a small whimper as I stared at the ground, shaking my head slowly.