Chapter 8

Goldenshine's POV

"Brairpaw, from this day forward you will be known as Briarlight. StarClan honors you for your perseverance and spirit." Firestar's meow echoed throughout the camp.

"Bumblestripe! Blossomfall! Briarlight!" the Clan yowled in triumph for the three newly-made warriors.

I turned my head to look over at Briarlight, whose head was held high as Firestar licked her shoulder. I couldn't help but feel a pang of sympathy for her, as she would never be able to truly become a warrior.

Soon after the storm that had caused the tree to fall on Briarlight and Longtail, Briarlight woke up in the medicine den to realize that she couldn't move her back legs. It had now been confirmed that she was permanently paralyzed in her back legs. I admired how well she had handled all of it.

With Swiftkit behind me, I walked up to the three littermates and congratulated them, while Swiftkit gave them a curt nod. I looked back to him and smiled, glad that he cared to acknowledge the three warriors. But immediately, he started trudging back towards the nursery.

I was starting to worry about him. He had been nothing but exhausted lately. Everywhere he went with his tail to the ground, and he snapped at me almost every time I said anything as simple as "how are you?" to him. He had become even more irritable if that was even possible. I was with him all of the time, and hadn't noticed anything that would make him act this way, which I suppose made me worry even more.

I shook my head slowly as I started to follow him to the nursery. Just as Swiftkit was about to crawl into the nursery, he passed Molekit, Snowkit, and Cherrykit playing mossball. Cherrykit let out a loud gasp. Swiftkit paused.

"Swiftkit, what happened to you?" Cherrykit exclaimed.

I paused as soon as Cherrykit spoke, my heart seemingly skipping a few beats. "What?" I ran up closer to Swiftkit to try to get a glimpse of what Cherrykit was referring to, but Swiftkit immediately jumped away from me. "What do you mean? It's nothing!"

Cherrykit's eyes were so wide, I almost thought that they were going to pop out of her head. She ran over to Swiftkit, whose fur was starting to bristle. "You have a huge gash in your flank! Are you hurt?" Cherrykit asked frantically, running her small tail along Swiftkit's flank.

As panicked as I was, I tried to suppress a small smile. It was clear that Cherrykit was truly concerned for her friend.

She's so patient with him, even when he's so irritable like this, I thought.

Swiftkit let out a small hiss and pulled away from the ginger she-kit. "Like I said, it's nothing! Get away from me!" He growled.

Great StarClan!

My mouth dropped instantly after Swiftkit's harsh words. I was about to scold him until I saw Cherrykit, her eyes filled with hurt. Without another word, she backed away and then turned to walk towards Molekit, her brother. Molekit wrapped his tail around his sister and looked at Swiftkit with narrowed eyes.

"Ignore him, Cherrykit," mewed Molekit, "He's just a mean furball."

I didn't know whether Swiftkit heard the comment or not, for he had already disappeared into the nursery. Although Cherrykit was hurt, she was staring at where he had disappeared.

I shook my head quickly and then followed Swiftkit into the nursery. He was limping towards our nest with his tail dragging the ground.

I narrowed my eyes at Swiftkit and sat down in front of the entrance of the nursery. "Pardon me if I interrupt the rough day you're having, or should I say days, but I must ask - what is going on with you?"