Chapter 10

Lilypetal's POV

Having just finished a much needed nap, I walked out of the warriors den to see Goldenshine and Dusty trotting back into camp, side by side. I tilted my head in fascination as I noticed how happy they seemed to be. They were letting out purrs of laughter and seemed to never want to stop talking to each other.

It's nice that she's welcoming the kittypets, I thought. Of course she is. As loyal of a warrior as she is, she will show compassion towards any cat.

I continued to scan the camp as Goldenshine and Dusty walked over to sit near the Highledge and talk. Right under the Highledge, I saw Smudge and Firestar talking, Firestar's eyes wide with dismay.

"Leaving?" I heard Firestar exclaim. "Already?"

My moving gaze stopped as I heard Firestar's comment.

Smudge is leaving?

Wanting to hear more, I tried to think of a way I could possibly overhear what was going on. The fresh-kill pile, extremely close to where Firestar was sitting, caught my eye.

I am a little hungry, anyway.

I slowly began to pad towards the fresh-kill pile, trying not to catch Smudge or Firestar's attention. Once I arrived there, I sat myself down and pretended to thoroughly be searching for a juicy piece of prey.

I could clearly hear their exchange now. "I have definitely overstayed my welcome," Smudge admitted. "Me and the others have stayed much longer than expected."

As Firestar hesitated for a few heartbeats, I very slowly started to bend down to pick up a mouse, conserving my time.

Finally, Firestar nodded and said, "I understand, Smudge. Your Twolegs ought to be worried about you. I certainly won't get in your way."

Absentmindedly, I started to open my mouth up around the mouse. I heard Smudge meow, "Okay, Lilypetal, I may be a kittypet, but I know for a fact that no cat picks up their prey that slowly."

I rolled my eyes and dropped the mouse as Firestar turned to face me.

All he did was shake his head quickly and meow, "Nevermind that. Lilypetal, I suppose, out of any cat in ThunderClan, you ought to here this too."

I dipped my head, padded up to stand by Firestar and asked Smudge, "Are you really leaving?"

Smudge nodded, not needing to think about it at all. "Yes. As neat as this Clan life is, it is not how I want to spend my time, and I'm sure the other two feel the same way."

I saw Firestar glance over to the "other two" that Smudge was referring to. Dusty and Goldenshine were in their same spots, but Pippy had approached them, and they all seemed to be talking to each other excitedly.

"I suppose you should tell them the news?" Firestar inquired. "I'm sure they'll be wanting to come back with you."

Smudge nods and then calls over Pippy and Dusty. Immediately, both of their heads turned to where Smudge had called. They looked at each other and then slowly approached with their eyes wide. Goldenshine stayed back, but I noticed a very worried gleam in her gaze.

As Pippy and Dusty sat themselves down, Smudge told them what was going on.

To my surprise, both of the kittypets' eyes widened with shock and their mouths dropped. I noticed that Goldenshine looked dismayed as well.

Dusty stood up, as if ready to protest. "Leave? No way!" he exclaimed. "I want to stay. This Clan life is awesome!"

Dusty then realized how defiant he sounded. Meeting Firestar's gaze, he added shyly, "If you'd have me..."