Chapter 21

Swiftkit's POV

Goldenshine's and Dusty's whispers slowly began to fade away as I drifted off into sleep.

I was terrified of the night ahead of me. As much as I didn't want to, I knew that I was probably being sent back to the Dark Forest.

I didn't know what I would come back to see. Would Ashfur and Tigerstar be angry with me for running off? Would Thornclaw's dying body still be there?

I had barely been able to contain the guilt and fear I felt when I had found out that Thornclaw was found in the warriors den, severely injured. I, and only a few more cats in ThunderClan, knew what had really happened to him. The rest of the Clan was left completely confused and baffled.

I hadn't dared talk to any of the ThunderClan cats training in the Dark Forest though. I didn't want make the idea of Ashfur attacking and nearly killing Thornclaw seem more real.

It made me realize how much harm that Ashfur has really done to my kin, and for some reason, I hadn't thought anything of it, and still trained with him, as if he didn't kill my mother's sister or threaten other cats.

And he helped Hawkfrost nearly kill Firestar, for StarClan's sake! I realized.

I knew that in my heart that Ashfur was a very, very dangerous cat, and that training with him and Tigerstar probably was not a good idea.

But... the fact that he is a dangerous cat scares me out of wanting to back out of it all...

I was overwhelmed with worry and frustration as the nothingness around me suddenly formed into ground, bushes and trees.

Ashfur and Tigerstar were already there waiting for me.

"Swiftkit!" Ashfur began, his eyes filled with feigned concern. "We missed you yesterday! Where did you go?"

Not being able to contain my anger, I spat at him, "What do you expect me to do when I watch you rip my kin apart?"

When neither Ashfur nor Tigerstar spoke, I sunk my claws into the earth and wailed, "Thornclaw could be dead, and it's all your fault!"

I suddenly felt a pang of guilt as I noticed a flash of deep hurt in Ashfur's eyes. Tigerstar's gaze revealed absolutely nothing.

I suppose that's why he can seem so scary... I realized.

I lowered my head to the ground as Ashfur then spoke, his voice choked up with hurt, "My fault? How dare you accuse me of something like that?"

I narrowed my eyes as Tigerstar then nodded slowly. "Yes, Swiftkit. Why would you put all of this on him?" He murmured, tilting his head with his eyes big.

"What do you mean?" I asked, my voice shaking. "Ashfur, I watched you attack Thornclaw. I don't know who else to blame!"

"'Who else to blame'?" Ashfur repeated, hissing. His eyes then settled on me and then narrowed. It almost seemed like he was trying to hide a smirk. "The perpetrator is clearly you, Swiftkit. I don't understand how you can't see that!" He meowed, seeming genuinely shocked that I would blame him for what had happened.

What?

My mouth dropped open, but no words would come out. My heart began beating at double the speed.

For some reason, I couldn't find anything to say to defend myself. What if this is my fault?

What if there had been something I could've done to stop it?

Before I could say anything, Tigerstar spoke, "Ashfur wouldn't have had to attack him like that if you hadn't gotten Thornclaw so riled up! You started it!"