Chapter 13

Goldenshine's POV

A growl slowly began to rise in my throat as I saw the fox slowly start to approach Swiftkit again. It was clear he had already inflicted some damage.

But I'm not going to let him lay one more hair on my son!

Just as I was about to pursue the large, lean creature, it leaped at Swiftkit again, its jaws wide open. Swiftkit let out a fearful squeak, too much in shock to move. I let out a battle cry and leaped out at the fox, claws unsheathed.

I landed onto its back and raked my claws into its flank as hard as I could. It let out a screech, clearly in pain. It thrust its head back, and from that I was able to see that it had managed to get Swiftkit in its mouth.

I gasped at this sight, but from that I was only able to gain more fire. I reached forward to claw at the fox's neck. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see the other cats on the patrol batting at the fox the best they could.

"Let go of me, you mange-pelt!" I heard Swiftkit yowl weakly, still being thrown around in the fox's mouth as it tried to manage being attacked and holding its grip on Swiftkit.

Suddenly, I was thrown off of the fox. I seemed to fly in the air for a heartbeat, and then my back slammed into a tree. My breath was knocked from me, and I fell to the ground, panting. I looked up to see that the fox was now facing Lilypetal, Mousewhisker and Dusty, Swiftkit still in its mouth. It let out a growl, and its teeth went tighter around Swiftkit. He let out another weak squeak.

As I was finally able to stand up, I heard Dusty hiss fiercely and then leap straight at the fox. My heartbeat doubled its pace. What is he doing? Does he even know how to fight a creature like this? I ran up to stand by Lilypetal and screamed, "Dusty, no!"

Either he didn't hear, or he didn't listen, for he didn't turn back from what he was doing. My mouth dropped as he managed to bowl over the fox. Swiftkit flew from the fox's mouth and landed into some shrubs. I immediately ran over to meet him as quickly as I could. I licked him profusely and wrapped my tail around him.

That fox is not going to get anywhere near him again!

Seeing the way that Dusty was fighting made me feel even more sure of myself. Dusty was quick and swift as the fox snapped and lashed its claws at him. Lilypetal and Mousewhisker were right behind him, backing him up.

Finally, Dusty had given the fox enough wounds to get the tawny creature to give up. After Dusty raked the fox's flank one last time, the fox wriggled away and then pelted out into the forest, whimpering. Dusty stood in the same place, breathing heavily.

There was silence for a few heartbeats as every cat recollected themselves. Then, Lilypetal lashed her tail and turned to Dusty. "Wow, that was amazing!" she exclaimed, nudging Dusty's shoulder with her tail. I stood up and walked towards the other cats, picking Swiftkit up as I did this.

Dusty shyly looked to the ground as I approached. "Eh, it was nothing at all!" he began, humbly, "Foxes would come around the house every once in a while, and someone would have to fight them off!"

I stared admiringly at Dusty as he explained himself. Wow, he's going to be such a great warrior. I can see it already.

Lost in my thoughts, I hadn't even realized that my gaze hadn't left Dusty. His head turn towards me and his gaze caught mine. His eyes almost seemed to glimmer with shock for a heartbeat as he realized I had been staring at him. Then a sweet smile emerged on his face.

Suddenly, my ears grew extremely hot and my eyes went down to Swiftkit, where I had put him down. What am I doing, letting myself get caught up with Dusty right now? Swiftkit was just attacked by a fox!