Chapter 3

Goldenshine's POV

Hearing the complaining mews of Swiftkit all the time, I didn't think anything of it when I heard a weak whimper of a kit come from the entrance.

I didn't leave the nursery until I saw Daisy get up and practically leap out of the den. I signaled Swiftkit to follow me and the I left the den.

Swiftkit was the kit that I had given birth to a few moons ago. I am not proud to say that father of Swiftkit is Breezepelt of WindClan. I gave birth to Swiftkit right after a gathering with Breezepelt by my side, but we had to end things soon after at the urging of Firestar.

Firestar, along with my parents, know who Swiftkit's father is. Everyone else in the Clan thinks it is Mousewhisker, who is a close friend.

Many cats were gathered around in the center of camp. The three kittypet newcomers were off to the side, observing the big crowd.

In the center of the mob I could just barely see the bright orange of Squirrelflight's head.

I tried to squeeze my way through the crowd to see what was going on. I kept hearing the weak meows. Swiftkit was behind me, but it sounded nothing like him.

I arrived to stand in front of Squirrelflight to see her comforting something that was lying in front of her.

I looked down to see that a kit was at Squirrelflight's feet. It was rolling back and forth and continuing to meow.

I looked up at Squirrelflight with wide eyes, and then I looked and Brambleclaw, and then I turned back to her.

"Well, that was fast!" I exclaimed.

Squirrelflight rolled her eyes. "It isn't mine, mousebrain!" she meowed,"I just found this little furball in the forest in a bush!"

I ignored her harsh tone and observed the kit.

Its face wasn't towards me, so I couldn't see exactly what it looked like, but it was a dusty white and gray with soft and fluffy fur. I would guess it was about a moon old.

It seemed like a perfectly healthy and normal kit to me, until the kit turned and I could see its face. I was frozen in my place, and my claws sank into the earth.

Something looked so terrifyingly familiar about this kit, and I couldn't figure out why. All I knew was that it was freaking me out. It was something about its face shape or its piercing blue eyes.

I backed away from the crowd, and turned around to see Lilypetal, my mother, watching me leave the group of cats.

She observed my shocked expression and tilted her head. She almost reflected my same expression.

"Do you see it too?" she asked out of nowhere.

I turned my head towards where the kit was and then back to her. "What do you mean?"

Lilypetal stepped up closer to me. "You saw the kit, didn't you?" she asked,"Who do you think it looks like?"

Before I could answer, a yowl came from the Highledge.

I turned to see Firestar standing on the Highledge. Everyone else turned towards him.

He spoke as soon as everyone was quiet. "What is going on here?" he beamed.

Squirrelflight picked up the white fluff and stepped forward. Firestar's eyes widened as it came into his sight.

"We found her in the forest," Cloudtail began.