Chapter 4

Swiftkit's POV

I was so exhausted by the time the sun had begun to disappear behind the trees.

I had played with the new kit all day. She was fun and all, but she was so shy and nervous at times that it seemed like a butterfly could scare her.

But, not shockingly, she seemed to like me, so I played with her all day, and we tossed a mossball around. It was actually quite fun.

But before we knew it, the camp had become dark and it was time to go to sleep. I was about to toss the mossball back to the kit when I heard my mom's call, and I saw her bright orange tabby tail flick from outside the nursery.

The white she-kit gave me a sad look, but she stayed where she was as I followed Goldenshine into the nursery.

As I was about to nestle next to my mother, I watched and saw that the kit still hadn't moved from her spot. She was beginning to sink to the ground. I think she was scared because she was one of the only cats left in the middle of the clearing.

Poppyfrost, her now-foster mother, quickly burst out of the den and picked up the white kit as it began to let out fearful meows. She put down the kit in her nest and began to comfort it.

I looked up to see Goldenshine watching the both of them.

"Have you decided what you're going to name it, Poppyfrost?" she suddenly said.

Poppyfrost looked down and observed the kit.

"Actually, I have," she whispered, smiling down at it,"I wanted to consult you about a certain name before I set for it."

Goldenshine tilted her head, waiting for Poppyfrost to continue.

Poppyfrost locked her gaze on Goldenshine. "I wanted to name her Snowkit, in honor of your sister."

I felt my mother flinch as Poppyfrost said this. I tried to peer around the back of her head to see her expression, but I couldn't quite catch it.

As tense and shocked as she seemed, for whatever reason, she answered Poppyfrost finally.

"That would be wonderful, Poppyfrost. Great idea," she meowed kindly, but there was a shake in her voice.

Poppyfrost gave Goldenshine a nod, and then lowered her head to go to sleep, where the white kit had already began to slumber.

Goldenshine turned back to me and gave me a lick on the head. She wrapped her tail around me and I began to nestle into her fur.

As great of a mother Goldenshine was, I was disappointed that I would never have a real father to raise me.

I knew who my real father was, Breezepelt. Goldenshine told me as soon as I could comprehend words. She had told me that she had told me as soon as she could, because she did not want me to live with lies, like other cats in the Clan had.

I don't know what she meant by that.

Breezepelt is of WindClan, so I am half ThunderClan and half WindClan, but, no one in the Clan knows it.

Everyone in ThunderClan thinks that my father is Mousewhisker, who is a good friend of my mother's.

They pretended to be mates for a while to serve the lie well. But, soon enough they decided that they would stop the act and stop being "mates", so that they wouldn't have to pretend their whole life. The Clan just thinks they broke off because they enjoyed a friendship better.

So, I am left without a father, or at least a father who could actually raise me. I had never actually seen Breezepelt before, and I didn't know whether I wanted to or not.