I Become The Co-Creator

Percy

Annabeth's hand broke the Iris message and her face faded. I sighed and massaged my temple, knowing I had screwed up massively.

"Was that a bad time to appear?"

"Yes, Chaos, that was a bad time!" I snapped at the creator. Well, his ghost-ish thing.

Chaos walked (or is it floated?) closer to me. "I know you miss her."

I nodded and lowered my head. "So much." I sighed and looked at Chaos. "Are you absolutely, completely, one-hundred percent positive that this will work?"

"Actually, it won't work at all. I thought about it and did some more research. It's impossible."

My hope faded even more. If I didn't fix this soon, I might lose Annabeth. I wouldn't be able to survive that. Physically, I could, but mentally, most likely not. "What? After all of that and it won't work?" For the past few years Chaos and I had been searching for a way to restore his powers, and apparently all our preparations were for nothing.

"I'm afraid so."

"Are you sure that there isn't anything else? That there isn't some way to give you back your powers?"

"None that has been done before," Chaos said.

"But?" I prompted. "I know that that sentence isn't finished."

"But," Chaos continued, "There might be something else."

My hope was renewed. "Anything, what is it?"

"Something that might let you go to Earth frequently."

"Are you serious?"

"Yes."

"Tell me! Please, Chaos. I have to fix this with Annabeth."

"I know you do." Chaos grumbled.

"So, you'll tell me?"

"I suppose so. There is an ancient ritual I heard of. It won't transfer your powers back to me, but it will give me my powers back. Does that make sense?"

"No, it does not."

"You will still have the powers that you currently have. But so will I. We will be sharing the role of Chaos, you could say," he explained, "And because there would be two of us, you can go to Earth for longer periods of time without worrying about becoming mortal. You won't be able to stay there full time, of course, but you won't have to actively stay away."

I nodded, letting the words sink in. Chaos could get his powers back, I would stay Chaos (sort of), and the best thing; I could go to Earth and visit Annabeth. For a longer time. Without worrying about a war or becoming mortal.

"Yes." I said, sure of my decision. "I'll do it. Please. How do we do it? Do we need anything?"

"Quite a few things actually. An incantation, and the Olympian's symbols of power. All twelve of them, plus Hades and Hestia."

"Why?"

"Don't ask me, I didn't create it."

"Didn't you create everything?" Chaos glared at me. "Okay, fine, I'll drop it. I'll talk to the gods and you find the incantation. Meet back here when you can." I told Chaos, and then created a portal for Earth. I just hoped Annabeth wouldn't be there, I needed time to figure out how to make things up to her.

~

An hour and twenty-five minutes later, we had done it. I quickly returned the fourteen gods and goddesses symbols of power and returned to talk to Chaos. I took a good look at him. He looked more solid and real. I could tell he was back to his old self. As for me, I definitely felt different.

I couldn't fully describe it. The best I could do was to say that I felt . . . freer. Less restricted. I really felt like I could go to Earth for a while without worrying, and it was amazing. I was so relieved! Finally! I could go to Earth and apologize to Annabeth, and explain everything--in person. Not through an Iris Message, not by speaking in her mind, not by a note. While standing right in front of her.

"How does it feel, Perseus?" Chaos' voice broke me from my thoughts.

"Must you call me Perseus?" Chaos lips twitched. "I can't even begin to describe it. I don't feel as restrained, sort of free. It feels great."

"It feels good to be back, too. Would you like to tell Bianca and Zoë, and those new recruits you told me about?"

"Yes. You're coming with me. I have a feeling they can see you now."

"You are correct."

"Good. Then let's go."

Chaos and I walked out of my private room and into the lounge, where the four of them were goofing off and doing nothing. Chaos and I had decided to wait to reveal him. As soon as I stepped into the room they perked up.

"You look better." Nico commented.

I had stopped to look in a mirror before we came. My hair didn't look greasy anymore and my one uncovered eye had regained part of its shine. My face looked less worried and I noticed the ghost of a smile on it even when I wasn't smiling.

"I feel better. Let me show you why." I stepped aside and Chaos walked in.

Zoë and Bianca jumped to their feet and wide grins appeared on their faces, while Thalia and Nico's faces housed confused looks. They had never met Chaos. "Chaos?" Zoë and Bianca chorused.

"Hello, Bianca di Angelo and Zoë Nightshade." Chaos smiled at them. "I'm back."

They ran over to Chaos and embraced him, while Thalia and Nico sat awkwardly. I made my way over to them.

I spoke. "That's Chaos."

"No Styx, Sherlock." Thalia said.

"Anyway, he never really died. He just lost his powers and became sort of like a ghost, and could only appear to me, because I was his successor."

"Ah," Nico nodded his head in understanding.

"So these are the other two recruits you told me about?" Chaos asked.

"Yeah. This is Thalia Grace," I pointed to her and she growled at the mention of her last name, "And this is Nico di Angelo."

"Bianca's brother," Chaos stated and Nico nodded.

"So, what's the scoop? How is Chaos back?" Zoë questioned.

"It's a long story, but basically, we're sharing the role of Chaos. We both have the powers of Chaos and I can go to Earth for longer periods of time without worrying about becoming mortal."

"That's great, Percy!" Thalia exclaimed.

"Yeah, it is." I agreed and smiled. As soon as I said that, I felt a tug in my gut, like when I controlled water, and keeled over. I kneeled on the ground, with my hands out to balance me.

"What's happening? Percy, you're flickering and fading." Bianca said.

"Annabeth must have used the necklace I gave her." I groaned as the tug grew in strength. "She's in trouble. I'll be back, just stay here." I ordered.

They nodded and I felt the tug again, before I disappeared.

~

My vision cleared and my surroundings came into focus. I was standing in what I assumed to be the lobby of the Amazon's fortress. There was a man standing there and holding a bloody dagger. I felt something slippery under my shoes and looked down.

My heart almost stopped at the sight I found. Annabeth was laying on the ground in a small pool of blood and vomit and clutching one of her hands—no, not her hand. She was holding the bloody stump of her arm, and her severed hand and Riptide lay next to her. The crushed remains of the necklace I had given her were nearby.

Annabeth glanced up and saw me. "Percy," she whispered.

I smiled sadly at her, before turning to the man in front of me. I glared menacingly and Oblivion appeared in my hands. "You are going to pay for hurting her."