Metal Is Good For Punching

Annabeth

I calmly made my way over to Percy, not storming across the grass to see him but not walking regularly. First he disappeared for a few hours after Bob left us, and then he showed up with--apparently only one fifth of--an army.

I reached him and stood in front of him with my arms crossed, tapping my foot. He fingered the gold belt around my waist and kept his head lowered slightly. "Lake or beach?"

"Does it matter? Does this have to be a private conversation?"

"Uh . . ." He didn't answer either of my questions. Instead, Percy grabbed my wrist and suddenly the grass beneath our feet turned into tons of tiny grains of sand.

"Would you like to explain why you knew about the Roman camp for--I'm guessing over a year and never told me?" I pulled my head back and pressed my lips into a thin line, raising my brows to look at him accusingly. "You knew that I knew about Roman demigods, about half of the Amazons have Roman gods as parents. So, why didn't you tell me?"

He sighed and sat heavily on the sand. "I . . . don't know. I was afraid of who you might tell, or what would happen, or--"

"Don't you trust me?" I interrupted and took a few steps away from Percy and turned so that my back was to him. "Being the Queen of the Amazons, don't you think I should know about where the demigods in the world are? I need to know these things. What do you think would have happened if I accidently found them and we became enemies?"

I heard Percy's lips separate as he opened his mouth to talk, but I cut him off, "Don't answer that. Can you imagine what would have happened if we were enemies, and when they showed up here, the Amazons attacked them? Then we would have a whole new war on our hands. Why didn't you trust me with that information?" I spun around to face him.

Percy put his head in his hands and blew out of his lips like a horse. He lifted his head and looked at me sadly. "I'm sorry. I don't really know. I just . . . figured that the less people knew the better it would be. There wouldn't be any confrontations that needed the gods to interfere with and change people's memories. I talked to the Olympians when I first found out. They agreed with me. The less people I told, the better.

"I wanted to tell you, I just couldn't figure out how. How do you think that would've happened? I Iris-Message you after we hadn't seen or spoken to each other in over a year and go, 'Hey Annabeth, there's a camp like Camp Half-Blood on the other side of the United States in California for Roman demigods.' How do you think you or anyone else might have reacted?"

I didn't have an answer for him. I drew in a deep breath and let it out, repeating the action several times. Percy turned slightly as I sat next to him on the sand. "I don't know. I just . . ." I couldn't find the words to describe how I was feeling. "You know that I love you, right?" Percy nodded his head yes. "It's just hard to handle everything. I have to lead the Amazons and keep in touch with Chiron and the Olympians, and then deal with a long-distance relationship. When I find out you're keeping things from me, it just adds to the stress I've been feeling." I leaned my head on Percy's shoulder and he put his head on mine.

"I completely understand," Percy sympathized, "I feel stressed all the time. And now that I share the role of Chaos with the original Chaos, most of that stress is gone. And I want to take away the stress you're feeling. It's slow-going and hard at a time like this. I wish I could do more." Percy sounded like he was mad that he couldn't do more for me.

"You're doing the best you can. Even though I wish you had told me before, getting the Roman demigods to come and help us out was the perfect thing to do right now. Thank you."

I felt Percy smile into my hair and a grin spread across my face as well. We sat on the beach for a while after that, lost in our own thoughts. Seemingly much too soon, the conch horn sounded for dinner. Percy stood and tugged me up with him, where I stumbled and he caught me, pulling me close to his body. His lips found mine and we shared a soft kiss, before entwining our hands and making our way to the dining pavilion.

The Romans and Greeks seemed to be getting along well. Some pleasantly ignored each other, others chatted friendly with them. After offering some of my food in the brazier, I moved on autopilot. Putting food on my fork or spoon and pulling it off the utensil with my teeth. I let my thoughts wander, particularly to the Oneiroi and what else I might know about them.

The dining pavilion suddenly grew colder and the world blurred slightly. Darkness formed in one corner of the pavilion and animals gathered somewhat closely to it. I stood and uncapped Riptide, approaching it cautiously. Percy followed. The darkness soon became a figure. Once the figure was distinguishable as a tall male, I heard a thump behind me.

I whipped around and saw Percy writhing on the floor. The Oneiroi had placed him in one of their dreams. I bit back a curse and my eyes traveled between Percy and the man. I barely noticed as camp counselors ushered everyone back and as Clarisse, Nico, and Leo stood protectively near me. Thalia dragged Percy's convulsing body out of harm's way as we held our weapons. I wasn't sure why the three of them chose to help me instead of the campers, but I was grateful.

I didn't know which of the Oneiroi this was, but we had to get rid of him quickly, so that I could wake up Percy before he went mad, like I almost did. Clarisse rushed him first and swung Maimer at the man. He dodged it easily and thrust a fist toward Clarisse's side, which she blocked with her other arm. She jabbed at him again with the spear, but he grabbed the end of it, yanked, and she was thrown into the bushes, most likely falling unconscious on contact.

Nico held his Stygian Iron sword and swiped at the Oneiroi over and over, faster than I could blink, but he deflected each strike. Nico became frustrated and tried harder, but faltered in his defense and was sent flying into the bushes in the other direction as Clarisse had gone.

I glanced at Percy. He was still writhing. I guessed I had a minute or less. Thalia kneeled beside him, doing her best to help him. Leo charged at the Oneiroi, swinging a large hammer in one hand and holding a ball of fire in the other. He threw the hammer which caught the Oneiroi's shoulder and he stumbled, but he quickly regained his balance and dodged the fireballs. Leo kept trying and seemed to get close, until out of nowhere, he was tossed high into the air and disappeared from sight. I had a feeling he wouldn't be landing anywhere on Camp Half-Blood.

I growled and adjusted Anaklusmos in my hand as I lunged. A sword appeared in the Oneiroi's hand and he blocked my strike. I swiped at his legs and he jumped over the sword. I knew I would have to do something unexpected to gain time to check on Percy or enough to banish him. He swung at my head and I ducked. As I came up, I brought the sword up in a diagonal line starting from the left side of my body, letting my other hand follow the weapon. My grip loosened on the hilt. His sword clanged against mine and Riptide spun out of my hand, but my celestial bronze one was still on course, and my metal fist punched the Oneiroi straight in the gut.

He doubled over to catch his breath and muttered a curse. When he straightened, he spoke one word. He was gone before I registered what he had said. "Soon."

Two campers each were helping Clarisse and Nico and I quickly dashed over to Percy. "Come on, Percy, wake up." I shook his shoulders. Nothing. I cradled his head in my lap, trying to figure out how to wake him. I grasped his hand in mine and my lips brushed his. My eyes closed as I hoped with all my heart that it would work.

A gasp startled me and my eyes snapped open, feeling Percy's lips respond beneath mine. His visible eye whipped back and forth until he saw me. His bright green eye stared back at me with recognition and I almost sobbed with relief. He hadn't gone mad. Percy started to sit up and I scooped him into my arms and hugged him tightly. His arms circled around me and let me cry, knowing how I felt since he had experienced it as well.

"Gods, that is scary." I whispered as I helped him to his feet. "I didn't know if we would get rid of him in time." Percy surveyed the pavilion and understood what I was talking about.

I felt Riptide appear in my pocket and barely noticed that Chiron was reassuring campers and Amazons, having any injuries treated and answering any questions he could. I thought about Leo. Was he okay? What happened to him? Where did he go? Piper was as worried about him as I was. I just hoped we would find him, or he would find us.

After fussing over Percy and making sure he was okay, I set off to find a pegasus. I needed to talk to my mother.