I Go To My Home

I Go To My Home

Percy

I sniffed and shifted my grip on Annabeth's body in my arms as I limped through Camp Half-Blood. Most of the campers, Romans and Amazons were sleeping or goofing around in their cabins, but some looked at me with curiosity. They weren't close enough to see who I was holding and I ignored them.

I pushed open the door to the Big House with my back and walked in the dark room. "Chiron?" I called out softly. In a few moments he appeared on the other side of the room.

"Percy, what is it?" He noticed the body in my arms but couldn't make out whose it was in the dim light. "Who is that?"

I said nothing a stepped forward, gently placing Annabeth's body on the couch. I took a few steps back, watching him. Chiron looked at me with confusion and moved closer to the couch. It took him a few seconds but soon he recognized the blond curls, the celestial bronze hand, and the golden belt around her waist. Chiron gasped and stumbled back, placing a hand on the wall to steady himself.

"No, it can't be. What happened?" Chiron said slowly.

"When we got to the clearing for the battle, only two of the Oneiroi were there. Annabeth warned us and everyone forgot. We found the missing guy. Phantasus showed up ten minutes ago and snapped her neck." Tears rolled down my cheeks. "I banished him to the Void but it was too late to save her." My shoulders shook as I sobbed. "She's dead, Chiron. Annabeth is dead."

Chiron stared at Annabeth as the information sunk in. I rushed forward and hugged the centaur. His arms went around me and together we cried for Annabeth.

~

The conch horn was blown despite the late hour as Chiron called for everyone to go down to the amphitheater, to burn Annabeth's shroud. No one but the two of us knew she was dead yet. All those that had gone mad from the dreams were fine now that the three Oneiroi were gone. I walked glumly along, my face still wet. Thalia made her way over to me.

"Percy, what's going on?" She saw my face and gasped slightly. "What happened?" I said nothing. "Where's Annabeth?"

I pushed my way through the crowd and walked faster, leaving the daughter of Zeus behind. Once everyone had gathered in the amphitheater and we were waiting, I hid in the shadows behind Chiron, and hefted Annabeth's body into my arms.

Everyone was silent. Chiron stepped forward, "We made a mistake. Two of the Oneiroi were defeated during the war. But we missed one. Phantasus. He made his move tonight. It was too late to stop him. He has now joined his brothers in the Void, but he left his mark.

"Everyone knew her. Some much more than others, but everyone knew her name. She was a great part of this camp and everywhere she was. She went through so much, only for it never pay off. Her death will forever change us.

"Annabeth Chase is dead." Chiron finished and the reaction was immediate. Gasps echoed around the amphitheater. The Amazons and the Athena cabin started crying. Thalia and some of our friends from the other cabins cried too. Including Clarisse. The older campers who had known Annabeth for a long time were on the verge of tears. The newer campers who hadn't known her that much just sat there in shock. The Romans copied them. Thalia looked for me, now that she knew why I had been crying.

I slowly walked forward, carrying Annabeth's shroud-wrapped body to the unlit pile of wood. I carefully placed her on the wood and took the torch Chiron handed me. As I looked up I met Grover's eyes. They were filled with pity.

"She was the most Athena-like child of Athena I'd ever met," I started, "Amazingly smart, brave, skilled, and so many others things. She saved my life too many times to count. I wouldn't be here without her. Most of you know that we had been dating for the last seven years, but we had been separated for most of that time. I loved her. I really did.