Celestial Bronze Is Handier Than You Think

Percy

"And who are you supposed to be? Her boyfriend?" The male asked me.

My grip tightened on Oblivion. I heard Annabeth moan and stole a quick glance at her. She had fallen unconscious. "Yes, and your worst nightmare. You will regret messing with me and her."

"And why is that?"

"Because I am Chaos. You don't want to anger me."

He took out his own sword and smirked. "A boy like you? I'll take my chances." He lunged at me and I lifted my sword to block his.

He attacked faster and faster, but I had been practicing for years and improved from the demigod I was before. My sword seemed to move on its own and none of his strikes were successful. I saw a flash of annoyance in his eyes which disappeared as quickly as it had appeared. He fought harder and tried to attack my right side more than my left, thinking I couldn't defend it as easily.

I was smarter. For the past two years I had been practicing to defend my right side, now that I was somewhat handicapped. My right side was now my strong side and I managed to nick his hand while parrying his thrusts.

Even with my training, I wasn't able to do much to him. He was about as good at fighting as I was. He cut me a few times, each of which I returned. I knew I wouldn't be able to defeat him, not yet. He was too good.

I sent a mental message, Hey, buddy, I need a surprise.

Coming up, came his reply.

I continued to block his moves and counter with my own, but as before, we were practically evenly matched. I swiped at his legs and he jumped a few feet in the air to doge. He retaliated with a slash at my head which I ducked under and sliced at his side, drawing a thin line of gold through his shirt.

I knew that I had to end the fight soon and tend to Annabeth. She was losing blood. We had to prepare soon, because I knew that this was undoubtedly a declaration of war. Soon, I saw a black blob move behind him and smiled.

"What are you smiling at?" The man said.

"Your stupidity." I stated.

A look of confusion colored his face as a horse neighed behind him and he turned around. As soon as he turned the pegasus rushed forward and trampled him. He fell to the ground and I saw hoof prints in his clothes.

The pegasus backed away as the man rose again and took a few steps away. All he said was, "Beware the storm," before he vanished.

"Thanks Blackjack." I grunted at my pegasus before dropping to the ground by Annabeth. Oblivion disappeared from my hands. "Annabeth," I stroked her face. "Wake up, please."

Her eyes fluttered at the sound of my voice and she stirred weakly. "Percy," she whispered.

"This might hurt a bit but it will stop the blood. You'll have to get used to it, but it should help." I held her arm that was missing a hand. "I've never done this before, so you'll have to trust me, Annabeth. I hope I don't screw this up."

"I . . . trust you."

"Okay, here goes." I closed my eyes and concentrated. Slowly, I felt something start to materialize where her hand should have been. I mentally grinned and kept working. It was new to me. I knew gods and immortal beings could create things out of nothing, I had seen proof of it and done it myself, but never had I heard of anyone doing what I was.

Annabeth's gasp of surprise told me it was finished and I opened my eyes. Attached to Annabeth's wrist was a hand that glinted in the scarce lighting. Her metal fingernails were sharpened into points. "What kind of metal is this?" Annabeth asked.

"Celestial bronze. I figured it would help when fighting monsters. How does it feel? Can you move it? Does it hurt? Does anything hurt? Did I screw up? Are you okay?"

"Calm down, Percy. Everything is fine. It's amazing." She wiggled her new hand and clenched into a fist and snapped and did all sorts of things to test it out. "Thank you."

"Really? I've never done that before and I've never seen anyone do it. How do you feel?"

"A little lightheaded, but otherwise fine. What happened?"

Blackjack stamped a hoof and shook his mane. I saved the day.

"Blackjack took him by surprise and trampled him. Then he said 'Beware the storm' and left. Who was he?"

"One of the Oneiroi. They're kind of like the personification of dreams. No one really knows much about them. I don't know why he wanted me and kept me and the Amazons awake, when he could have easily put us to sleep. Or in a trance-like state. There are many things he could have done differently, but he didn't. Whatever it is he's doing, I don't think he is doing it alone."

"Why do you say that?"

"Some of the Amazons have been having weird dreams that drive them to madness. They talk about a storm coming. And just now you said that he said to 'beware the storm.' I hate to say it, but--"

"No, him? Again?"

"I think so. Typhon. He hasn't escaped from his prison, but he must be communicating with the Oneiroi. Most likely all of them, not just the one we saw."

I groaned. "All right. Get to Camp Half-Blood as soon as you can. Contact Chiron on the way, not before. The sooner you leave, the better. I'll go to Olympus and talk to the Olympians and then my team and I will get to Camp too. Are you okay for now?"

"Yeah, just go."

"Annabeth?"

"Yes, Percy?"

"I love you."

"I love you, too. Remember, what we started earlier--it isn't finished."

"Believe me, I know." I helped Annabeth stand up and held Riptide. I fished the cap out of her pocket and touched it to the tip of the sword. Once it was in pen form, I tucked it back into her pocket.

The Amazons that had been pounding on the door finally broke into the room. I turned to them. "Make sure she eats and rests. She lost a lot of blood," I ordered before mounting Blackjack and returning to my home away from Earth.

Bianca, Zoë, Nico, Thalia, and Chaos were waiting for me. Thalia saw the blood on my clothes and the cuts on my body first. "What happened this time?"

"The usual: The Olympians are being threatened, I had to fight a guy, Annabeth's hand was cut off and I had to create a celestial bronze one. Everyday occurrences."

"Her hand was cut off?" Bianca exclaimed.

"Yes. We're going to Camp Half-Blood. Well, you are. I have to stop at Olympus first. Want to come, Chaos?"

He nodded. "I'll make sure everything is settled and we'll explain us, but then I will be leaving."

"Okay. Go, I'll see you soon." I waved my hand and a portal appeared behind my team. They quickly jumped through and Chaos and I were left alone.

"We will figure out how we want to proceed about the two of us after this war."

"Makes sense. Let's go visit some temperamental gods."