The One Titan Who Was Two

Percy

"Bob, look into yourself. You know who you are, what is right." I sounded like a cliché hero from a book, but I was desperate. Bob had to realize who he really was, he had to choose correctly. I knew he would. He had to.

"Please listen to us." Annabeth took a small step forward, but kept a death grip on Riptide and her shield.

I took a risk. I sheathed Oblivion and tossed my shield to the side. I raised my hands, showing Bob that I wasn't holding a weapon. I slowly walked toward him.

"My past was revealed to me like . . . like a switch was flipped and shed some light on the subject. But, I do not know whether to take it or not. If I do not want it, is it still mine?" Bob took a step away from me and held up his spear, then glanced down when he remembered it was on the ground.

"You can choose, Bob. You can take the parts of Iapetus' past that you want to keep. You don't have to take the other bits. The past is history. The present and future are what matter. How are you going to spend your future, locked in Tartarus? Or smiling and forgiving what has happened in your past? Choosing a new path, doing what you want to do instead of what others have told you to do, or what you are expected to do. What do you want for your future, Bob?" By now I stood directly in front of the silver Titan and stared into his eyes. His sad ones bore into mine.

"Future . . ." Bob said softly. "It is for mortals. Titans do not change. We are the same, always and forever. I will always be like this. Even if I did live after this war, the Olympians would not leave me be. It is not in their nature. They, too, do not change."

"I know," I agreed, "And that is one of their many flaws. Believe me, if they had done things much differently, none of this would be happening. We wouldn't be here right now.

"If the Olympians had realized how power affects everyone, they would have been smarter and stopped the fighting. The Big Three Oath might never have been made, or it might never have been broken three times. They would have learned. The would have payed attention to their demigod children. Luke wouldn't have felt compelled to raise Kronos. The Great Prophecy would never have been spoken.

"They would have treated each other better. Zeus wouldn't go around having affairs all the time, Aphrodite might stop seeing Ares and stay with Hephaestus, her husband. I wouldn't be here. Even if I was, the gods could have done other things to keep everything from happening. They would have tried to fix things with their families. With Kronos, Tartarus, Gaea, the Primordials, everyone. They would have watched their enemies closer.

"Look, Bob. Titans and demigods were never supposed to work together. But how many times now have we? I've watched you for the past two years. You've helped to defend Camp Half-Blood. You helped us fight against Gaea. We worked together, became friends even. You've been the best friend we could ever need. If you can change, so can the Olympians.

"In the future, the Olympians can watch over their demigod children. All of them. Guide them to safety, claim them immediately, and talk to their children. They can stop fighting with each other and fix problems that happened a long time ago. They can forgive and forget, go on with their lives as different immortals. So many things can change to make the future better and less chaotic. Your future was different after becoming Bob. It may not have been the best, but you weren't locked away, with no one to talk to and relate to. You overcame that. The Olympians can too.

"What I'm trying to say is that nobody is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes and we can't change the past. No one can, not without a tremendous cost. Even then, it won't work. Believe me, I've experienced it. Pontus tried to make everyone forget about me. He tried to change the past. It failed, after only succeeding for three years. You have to let go of the past and move on, make better choices for the future. That's the only way things can work out for everyone." I definitely sounded like a cliché. But I was desperate. I didn't know what else to do. Besides, it seemed to be working. Even now, I saw a change in Bob's eyes.

I took a few steps back, watching Bob. I hoped my speech had worked. I was still in shock over what I had said. I opened my mouth and words had come pouring out like a flood. I couldn't stop them. I could hear Chaos speaking through me, and possibly the other Olympians. I felt presences and knew the Olympians had been listening. They had to really listen though, and take my words into account. If I didn't get through to Bob, I could at least try to get through to them.

A hand squeezed my shoulder and I looked to the side. Annabeth had tears pooling in her eyes. "I really hope the Olympians heard that."

"They did," I reassured her, "I felt them."

We looked back at Bob, who was still frozen, processing what I had said. Finally, he scooped up his spear and spoke. "I choose to be more than who I was before. I am different from my brothers. I am Iapetus and Bob, but I like Bob better."

I let out a breath I hadn't realized I had been holding and fell to my knees. "Yes! Go Bob the Titan!" I picked up my shield and held Oblivion, ready to fight.

Bob raised his spear and the circle of fire around us extinguished. He charged, but not at us. He quickly climbed onto the rock Phobetor was standing on, and before the immortal Oneiroi could react, Bob lunged at him.

Phobetor managed to stagger backwards and Bob's spear only sliced across his chest, cutting a long and deep line under his ribs. Phobetor snarled and raised his own sword. "You worthless Titan!" Phobetor attacked Bob and he defended himself.

Annabeth and I climbed onto the rock, looking for an opening to help Bob. We watched, waiting. Bob was doing well but the injuries he hadn't let faze him from us before were getting to him now. He had already been fighting and was tiring slightly. Phobetor ignored the giant wound on his body and had nearly unlimited energy. He hadn't fought this whole time except when Nico defended me from him, and he had had time to recover. Bob didn't have that luxury.

I saw what was about to happen and tried to race into the fight and stop it, but it was too late. Bob was slow in deflecting one of Phobetor's strikes and wasn't able to block the next one. A blade emerged from the Titan's back and Bob fell, shimmering. I reached him but it was too late and he was gone, sent to the pit of Tartarus. He wouldn't regenerate for a long time.

I rose and glared at Phobetor. Annabeth joined me. Phobetor grinned at the two of us and lunged. I fought with a ferocity I had never used before. Bob was our friend. The best friend we could hope for. He helped us even when we didn't deserve his help. Phobetor would pay for killing him.

I barely let Annabeth fight, wanting to finish Phobetor myself. The cut across his chest seemed to heal by itself as he fought against me. He had great skill and I didn't see an easy win. But I was determined.

Phobetor's sword sliced the air above me as I ducked to avoid having my head cut open, and simultaneously kicked his legs. He stumbled but quickly regained his balance. He caught my wrist as I swung my sword and pushed me backwards.

I smacked my shield into Phobetor's chest with godly strength and he flew through the air. He landed in front of a pair of feet. A metallic hand smashed onto his head as he started to lift himself up and fell again.

"That's for Bob." Annabeth spit at him and shook out her celestial bronze hand.

I sent a bolt of energy at Phobetor and it, plus the force of Annabeth's smack did it. His body collapsed in on itself and he faded as he was sent to the Void.

My weapon clattered against the rock and so did my shield. My knees buckled and I fell off the edge of the large rock, spinning and landing hard on my stomach. A hand soon touched my back and flipped me over. Annabeth's face filled my vision.

"Percy! What is it? Are you okay?" She checked my body for cuts and other injuries.

I stopped her and wearily lifted a hand, giving her a thumb's up. "I'm great. Peachy. Just, glad that's over." I sat up and then stood up, rubbing my ribs. "That wasn't smart though." I looked into Annabeth's eyes and grinned. I pulled her into my arms and we laughed hysterically.

"We did it."