Chapter One

Episode 1 - Orion Pax (1)

[Amanda]

  "In hindsight, we accomplished what was required. With Unicron's awakening, extreme measure needed to be taken. Enemies became allies, allies became confidants."

  Autobots teaming up with Megatron. Optimus trusting me and Jack with the key.

  "And, with the Matrix of Leadership, the planet Earth was saved."

  Optimus blasting Unicron's spark with energy from the matrix.

  "Though, at an immeasurable personal cost."

  Optimus...

  "When Optimus surrendered the matrix, he lost more than the collective wisdom of the Primes. He lost himself." Ratchet didn't miss a beat as he debriefed us on the entire situation.

  The Autobots had returned from the centre of the earth only an hour ago, and since then had been taking turns being examined by Ratchet for any injuries. Jack, Miko, and Raf stayed by their Autobot's side the entire time, while I sat on the couch, head in my hands as a numb feeling overtook the fear in me. Finn was next to me most of the time, getting up only to answer a few calls from the military, but other than that he stayed. Truthfully, I barely noticed the hour go by. Only one thing was on my mind, and that was getting Optimus back. Now all of us were on the platform, perched on the couch somehow.

  The only way to stop Unicron, the Cybertronian god of chaos that Earth formed around, was to use the power of the Primes, just like the first time Unicron was defeated when the original thirteen Primes were around. Optimus was the only Prime left, the Matrix of Leadership in his chest granting him the collective wisdom of all his predecessors. He was the only one who could stop Unicron, and he did. But at a price.

  "That doesn't follow," Arcee said. "Optimus knew and recognized Megatron."

  "They were, like, BFF's." Bulkhead added, using words Miko would.

  Bumblebee buzzed something in agreement.

  Ratchet shook his head. "If Optimus did not know his own name, perhaps it is because the title of Prime hasn't yet been granted to him."

  "What?" I blurted, looking up.

  "With the power of the matrix no longer within him," he explained. "It would stand to reason that Optimus has reverted to his pre-Prime state; the historical archivist Orion Pax."

  "You mean in his mind, right?" Ms. Darby asked.

  "Are you telling me Prime thinks he's some kind of librarian?!" Agent Fowler demanded. "And a Decepticon?!"

  Ratchet shook his head. "Being a Decepticon is a choice, Agent Fowler. One I have a hard time believing Optimus would make at any point in his life."

  "So, if he's riding with the Cons, it's because Megatron is working some kind of voodoo." Miko simplified.

  "Orion Pax may not currently be an Autobot up here," he tapped his head. "But I must believe he will never stop being one, in here." He punctuated that by tapping his chest. "We must locate him to know for certain."

  "Hold up," Agent Fowler stepped forward. "I have a chip lodged in my behind that let's Uncle Sam know when I stop for donuts. Are you telling me you can't just track Prime?"

  "Optimus' signal has not appeared since he embarked for Earth's core," The medic answered. "But we must get to work to finding him if we have any hope of initiating his contingency plan."