Chapter Thirty-Seven

I'm a horrible person.

I've completely abandoned this story for a while. I apologize, I really do. I've just got a lot on my plate. I had to deal with some personal issues, just found a job, and have that online course. That's no excuse though. So, again, I'm really sorry.

But you guys are amazing. You keep on commenting & voting on past chapters and it makes me so happy that you're enjoying this book. Like I said a million times before, you're the reason I'm writing. Thanks for sticking by me.

Alright, I'm done stalling. Here's the next chapter. Thanks again, lovelies!

Episode 23 - Inside Job

[Elsewhere]

  "Wakey, wakey," A voice taunted. Smokescreen's eyes opened ever so slightly, then widened at who he saw leaning over him. Knockout.

  "What?!" He exclaimed as he took in the situation he was in. His arms were tied down to a table, and so were his wrists. He began to struggle with no success, before his eyes darted to his wrist where-

  "If you're looking for your Phase Shifter," Knockout said, practically reading his thoughts, and lifted his own wrist to reveal the relic there. "Finders keepers."

  "Enough prattling, Knockout!" Smokescreen's gaze shifted to see Megatron himself stalking towards the table he was tied to. The Decepticon leader's gaze was on the rookie, causing chills to race across his body as he fought to keep cool. "Hand me the final Iacon relic. Now."

  Smokescreen made a face. "Yeah, I can't really help you. That-" He inclined his head at the Phase Shifter. "-Was the only one I was packing."

  Megatron glanced over his shoulder, beckoning a new Decepticon forward. "Soundwave."

  The silent Con displayed the final Iacon entry with it's shifting pixels on his face.

  "You got the wrong guy, chief," Smokescreen shook his head. "Optimus Prime is the one who can decode the Iacon database."

  "Ah, but you misunderstand," Megatron said. "The final entry has been decoded by us. And according to our findings-" The pixels on Soundwave's face formed an image of the rookie. "It would appear I do indeed 'have the right guy'."

  Knockout held a scanner in his hand, running it over Smokescreen's body. "The question is, what is it that you're still packing?" Then the scanner picked up something. "Why, hidden treasure of course!"

  He laughed then, because on his scanner was the image of the final Omega Key, nestled in Smokescreen's chest.

[Amanda]

  "Smokescreen must have been taken aboard the Decepticon warship," Ratchet announced after a few minutes of the return of the Autobots. "Tracing his signal through its shielding will be impossible."

  "Continue monitoring all frequencies, Ratchet," Optimus said. The others didn't seem to detect it, but I heard the strain in his tone. The fact that he wouldn't meet my gaze only confirmed that, because he knew I was the only one who could actually read him. "Far more than Smokescreen's fate may be at stake."

  "I don't get it," Finn spoke up from beside at the platform railing. "How could Smokescreen be an Omega Key?"

  "Perhaps he isn't the key," Ratchet replied. "But its container."