Chapter Nine

[Amanda]

  To say that I was distracted all day at school would be an understatement. After basically failing the math test, I couldn't focus at all during chemistry and almost set the lab bench on fire. Then, after lunch, I completely forgot to do my paragraph about Shakespeare and also couldn't read the class book in Spanish because my mind was elsewhere. I barely managed to get myself out of detention, pegging my entire lack of attention to the fact that I was so caught up in trying to 'reintegrate back into society' after being alone for a while, which was total bogus but it worked. At the end of the day, I sat on the front steps of the high school, trying to rub the stress off my face.

  "Long day?" Jack asked, sitting next to me.

  "Unbelievably long." I said, leaning back. "What about you? You look more tired than usual."

  He shook his head. "I keep on having these flashbacks to when we were on Cybertron. For some reason our trip to that planet keeps on bothering me."

  "Was it the actual planet or what happened there with the insecticon and scraplets?"

  "Both." Then he shrugged. "It's nothing really.

  "Aw, Jackie need some counseling about his nightmares?" An annoyingly familiar voice said from behind us and we turned to see Vince with four of his croonies, a smirk on their faces.

  "Didn't your parents ever teach you that eavesdropping is rude?" I snapped, not in the mood for anything Vince had to say. "Or did they skip that, along with showering on a daily basis?"

  His smirk never wavered. "At least my parents had time for me, Beckett."

  I tried not to let his words get to me, holding back my anger. I felt the powers within me stir at my anger and forced them down, trying to hold them back so I wouldn't reveal them. "You're playing an old card, Vince. Nothing new in that empty space between your ears?"

  "You know, you're cute when your angry." He laughed, making me clench my jaw. "I'll give you another chance, Amanda. You're lucky you're one of the prettier girls in town, so why don't the two of us go on a date sometime? I know you like cars, so I'll even let you sit up front in my beauty."

  I snorted. "Oh my, Vince, whatever shall I do? Should I thank you for your mercy on my poor soul, or punch you for being a jerk?"

  Jack burst out laughing at that and even his buddies looked like they were trying not to laugh, making Vince's gaze go dark.

  "You're going to regret that, Beckett." He growled, stepping forward with his fists clenched. I stood, facing the idiot.

  "Do your worst, Vince." I stole a glance behind me, relieved at who I saw across the street. "But, before you try anything, I just want to remind you of two things. First, I can kick your ass to China, and second, the man in that truck is like a father to me." I pointed at the truck behind me. "And if you think his truck means business, wait until you see him when he's angry."

  Vince's eyes went to the truck and, right when I need him most, Optimus flashed his lights in warning. A grin almost burst across my face, but I held it back to stare Vince down.

  "Next time, Beckett." The jerk snapped, shaking off his panic, turning on his heel and stalking towards the parking lot. His friends followed close behind, whispering to each other.

  Great, now everyone's going to hear about this.  

  Would you let me savour the moment? Just this once?

  "Nice one, A." Jack held out his fist for me to bump against my own.

  I shot him a smile. "Thanks. We'd better get going though. See you later at the base if we're not practicing too long?"