Chapter Thirty-Two

Whaaaa two chapters in one day? I know, I surprised myself. It's a wonder what you can get done when your phone's dead and don't have that distractor. Anyways, enjoy!

Episode 20 - Legacy

[Amanda]

  "Found it," Jack said, looking up from my laptop. "Old road rage didn't waste any time from posting your mug shots."

  I abandoned my homework and peered at the screen, sighing. "Let me get rid of it."

  The photo was of Bumblebee and Smokescreen in their Autobot modes, out in the open along some Nevada backroads. Bee had immediately called the base for a ground bridge, forgetting about the energon they were supposed to be hunting, and once they returned, he reported what had happened in a state of panic. Optimus had listened carefully as Bumblebee recounted how Smokescreen was driving way over the speed limit, causing him to almost crash into a human car. Once the driver of the car threatened him, Smokescreen had transformed and faced him. Bumblebee only transformed to put himself between Smokescreen and the human, who snapped a picture.

  "Is this what you learned while serving Alpha Trion?" Ratchet demanded, clearly outraged. "I highly doubt that he would have condoned such irresponsible behaviour."

  Arcee walked forward. "Blowing your cover is not okay."

  "Sorry, guys," Smokescreen looked down. "I know I really messed up."

  "While Ratchet and Arcee are correct," Optimus said, those being the first words since he asked me and Jack to take care of the photo. "I believe that we are all equally responsible for this incident."

  "Us?" Arcee asked.

  "How?" Ratchet demanded.

  "We weren't even there!" Bulkhead commented. Bumblebee buzzed something and the wrecker shrugged. "Well, Bee was." That earned him an elbow from the scout.

  Optimus shook his head slightly. "Our recent efforts have been so intensely focused on averting crises that we have overlooked simple matters, such as teaching Smokescreen how to best function on this planet. It is an oversight that must be corrected."

  "Optimus, I'm honored to train under you and will do whatever it takes to make things right," Smokescreen said immediately.

  I rolled my eyes, and whispered to Jack, "His fanboy is showing," which got me a laugh. We were the only two humans at the base for now, since Raf was still working on making his parents happy, Miko was in detention (again), and Finn was working on some military training at their base.

  "Perhaps the best way for you to learn about the human world is from a human." Optimus decided.

  Arcee didn't look or sound impressed. "Smokescreen gets his own partner?"

  "Please!" Ratchet scoffed. "Isn't having five humans here enough?"

  Everyone turned to him, especially me and Jack who had mock expressions of hurt to tease the medic. Ratchet let out an annoyed breath and turned to his computers.

  "I was referring to one already among us," The Prime's gaze went to me and Jack. I dropped my gaze to my laptop, working on scrubbing the photo, though I was really trying to avoid getting picked. Jack saw this and sighed quietly.

  "Sure, Optimus," he said. "Robots in disguise, traffic laws, don't beat down humans- I can bring Smokescreen up to speed."

  Bulkhead put a hand on Smokescreen's shoulder. "We've all been put on curbside duty. It's part of the gig." Ever since the incident with Silas, the two had become friends, which I was glad to see.

  The rookie shrugged. "Then let's go for a drive, teach."

  Jack headed down the stairs of the platform as Smokescreen transformed. Soon enough, they were speeding out of the base. I finished scrubbing the picture and stood, getting the Prime's attention.

  "Optimus, there may be a problem," I started, receiving his full attention. "Agent Fowler is relocating Raf's family because the Cons found out where he lives. You guys all have covert vehicle modes that are common because we don't want the Cons to find out you're here. Smokescreen has double 38's on his doors- don't ask me where he got those from, it wasn't my car- and already got the spotlight put on him after one interaction with humans."

  Arcee stepped forward, putting her two cents in support of me. "His vehicle mode makes him an easy target. I'd be lying if I wasn't more than concerned about Jack's safety while he's with Smokescreen."

  Optimus nodded in agreement. "Nonetheless, the fact remains that our new recruit is in need of instruction. I believe that Smokescreen's spark is in the right place and that he now understands the necessity of protecting humanity."

  I wanted to argue, but got a text and looked down at my phone.

  Miko: A! Ol' friend, ol' pal, ol' chum of mine

  Me: What do you need?

  Miko: Would u be a dear and come pick me up from school? My host parents don't know I got detention and Bulk thinks I'm doing a make up assignment

  Miko: plzzzzzzzzz

  Me: Alright, alright, give me 5

  I stood up, signalling my Mustang to meet me at the nearest road. Optimus gave me a questioning look as I began to walk down the platform stairs.

  "Miko needs a pickup," I explained.

  "She's done her assignment?" Bulkhead asked, perking up at the sound of Miko's name.

  Think fast! "Uh, almost. She just needs something she left at my house so I'm driving her there and then back here."

  Luckily they bought the story and I headed out of the base just in time to see my Mustang pulling up. I slid in and headed straight for the school, finding Miko sitting on the front steps doodling in her notebook. Rolling down the window, I waved her over.

  "You're so lucky I'm nice," I said as she grinned and headed towards the Mustang. She climbed into the passenger seat, shooting me another grin.

  "Thanks, A!" She exclaimed. "I owe you one."

  I shook my head and started to drive back. "Don't worry about it. Just make sure that you say we had to stop at my house to get something you forgot there so you can finish your 'make up assignment'."

  "Yes ma'am!" She said as we pulled up to a red light. The rumble of a powerful engine made us exchange a look before a certain McLaren MP4 skidded to a stop beside us. I sighed.

  "You know, driving a high end car like that in Jasper is not the idea of covert," I called.

  The window nearest to me rolled down and Jack's face peeked out. "Well, we didn't want to drive all the way to Fernley for lessons."

  Miko almost climbed on top of me to get a look. "Ooo! Taking Smokey's wheels out for a spin?"

  "More like teaching me some boring rules," Smokescreen replied.

  I rolled my eyes. "Important rules, so pay attention." Then I looked back at Jack. "You can handle this?"

  "Piece of cake," He assured me.

  "If you say so. We're heading back to base, call if you need anything."

  "Will do." The light turned green and both cars went their separate ways, Smokescreen and Jack heading further into Jasper while Miko and I drove out of town, towards the base.