Chapter Twenty-Seven

[Amanda]

  For the next hour after I woke up, Ms. Darby had been fussing over me. She had cleaned out the cut and gashes, put ice on the massive bruises, and given me a weird sort of syrup that would help with my aching body. She also didn't let me get off of the cot the others had made by putting two lawn chairs together and taking off the armrests, which was really starting to drive me crazy.

  "Ms. Darby, I'm fine," I insisted, shoving away her hand as she rechecked the bandage on the top of my shoulder, where there was a large wound from when Typhoon slammed me into the ground. "Really. I can barely feel it. Can I please go?"

  She frowned. "Amanda, you're injuries can become serious if you don't let them heal properly."

  "I know, but I'm fine."

  "Amanda," She repeated, then sighed. "Fine. But the second you feel even a little nauseous or dizzy, you get right back here. Understand?"

  I nodded and she gave me a hard look before putting a gentle hand on my uninjured shoulder. "You did well."

  A bitter feeling filled me. "Not really. I could barely do anything. Finn got hurt because of me. So did Arcee. All because Typhoon wanted me and they stood in his way."

  "You stalled him for long enough to let Optimus and Arcee show up," She gave me a half smile. "If that isn't doing well, I don't know what is."

  I replayed her words in my head, allowing them to sink in. Maybe I didn't do so badly after all.  

  "Thanks, Ms. Darby," I said and she smiled fully this time before standing. I followed, but more slowly to prevent me from over doing it already. "Where's Finn and Optimus?"

  "Optimus is overseeing the military transport of Typhoon's body with Arcee," She replied. "And Finn is resting in the living room."

  I followed her inside. "Is he okay?"

  "He will be," She said as we walked through the back doors. "He might have a small concussion, but I won't be able to tell until he wakes up. Otherwise, he's cut up and bruised just like you."

  My eyes scanned the living room once we entered it and immediately saw Finn lying on the largest couch, the four seater one. I rushed to his side as fast as I could, taking in his paler skin and the bruises forming on his exposed skin.

  "I tried not to get any stains on the couch," Ms. Darby said from behind me. "But I think there still might be some. I'm sorry."

  I shook my head. "It doesn't matter. He's going to be okay?"

  She put her hand on my uninjured shoulder again. "Yes. Don't worry. I'll be right outside if you need anything." And she headed back outside. I grabbed a nearby chair, not bothering to wonder where it had come from, and sat next to Finn. He looked a little peaceful like this, and I couldn't help but reach out to brush his dark brown hair back a bit.

  "I'm sorry," I muttered, looking away for a moment. "I'm a magnet for bad things, especially now. I shouldn't have dragged you into this."

  "Can't take credit for something you didn't do," Finn's voice made me whip my gaze back at him, seeing that his eyes were cracked open and a smirk played on his face.

  "Look at you, snarky already," I said with a small smile. "How do you feel?"

  "Like I've been run over by a train, but I've felt worse."

  I raised an eyebrow. "How have you felt worse than being run over by a train?"

  "You'd be surprised." He smiled and my heart lifted.