Chapter Nineteen

Alright this was way more complicated to write than it should have been, but here it is! Preeeeesenting the next four episodes at once!

Episode 12/13/14/15 - Tunnel Vision/Triangulation/Triage/Toxicity

[Amanda]

  "If we are to have any hope of recovering the Iacon relics before the Decepticons do," Optimus was saying the next day. "We must divide our resources."

  Finn, Jack, Miko, and I were all perched on the platform, leaning on the railing while the Autobots debriefed on what they had to do next. Raf was sitting on the couch, typing away at his laptop the entire time. Luckily nothing had happened last night, meaning we all picked up right where we left off.

  "But, Optimus," Ratchet spoke up. "When it comes to numbers, we are already at a grave disadvantage."

  The Prime looked unmoved, as though he had a lot of time to think about this. "Under the circumstances, swiftness of action is paramount. This is one race that we absolutely cannot afford to lose. We will need to disperse to each set of coordinates, so that we may retrieve the relics simultaneously."

  "Spilt up?" I asked. "Isn't the phrase 'divided we fall'?"

  "We have no other choice." Arcee said. "The Cons are already on their way to New York, and may be getting ready to send more teams out there for the other three relics. The only way to be at all four places at once is to split up."

  I chewed my lip, but I saw her point and didn't say anything.

  "Here's a twist." Raf said. "The Cons are retreating from Manhattan."

  "They just up and left?" Miko asked.

  Optimus shook his head slightly. "It is more likely that Megatron has already set course for the second set of coordinates, having dispatched a unit to this relic's underground location."

  "Without busting up a city block to get to it?" Bulkhead demanded.

  "They can use subway tunnels." Jack said. "New York has a whole network of them running beneath the city. Easy access to the underground."

  "Since the human population no longer seems to be directly threatened, maintaining our disguise will be necessary." The Prime said, turning towards the other Autobots. "Arcee, Bumblebee, you are the best choices to navigate through such a densely populated area."

  Jack made a face. "Optimus, New York has more than 8 million people. The odds of being spotted by at least of them are pretty high, even if they are underground."

  "Where are you going with this?" Arcee asked, though I figured it out.

  Jack just wants to get involved with the action. Good call, wish I made it first though.

  "You're gonna need a face man. Someone who can speak on their behalf. A human who can run interference if their cover gets blown."

  Called it.

  Miko stepped forward to stand next to Jack. "Well I've actually been in subway stations. I grew up in a major city, unlike Mr 'I've never been outside Jasper, Nevada'."

  "I have been to Cybertron." Jack tried to argue.

  "Cybertron doesn't have subways!"

  Optimus didn't look convinced. "Agent Fowler's field experience makes him our best candidate."