Chapter Six

[Amanda]

  Seconds ticked by, but there still was no reply from Ratchet, meaning something was definitely off. We had to go through that ground bridge, even if it meant we were walking into a trap.

  "We can't not go through," Jack said. "Can we?"

  I shook my head. "I have an idea. Arcee, burst through first. If the Cons are there, then they'll think you have the key card. They won't expect me or Jack at all. We'll follow after thirty seconds; think that'll give you enough time to clear us?"

  "Sounds like a plan." She said before transforming and speeding through the space bridge. Once she disappeared, I started counting down in my head.

  "Ten, nine, eight, seven," Jack muttered under his breath. "Six, five, four, three, two, one-"

  "Go!" I exclaimed and we both dashed through. I kept my grip tight on the key card holding all the wisdom of the Primes as I tried to keep my balance.

  I hate space bridging, I hate space bridging, I hate-

  We finally emerged at the other side to see Optimus right in front of the space bridge, trying to get to his feet, while Arcee battled Megatron behind him. I ran up to Optimus, stopping only when I was just in front of him and held up the key card. He was still on his knees, the uncertainty on his face as clear as I'd ever seen it.

  "Are... you certain I'm worthy?" He asked, his unsure tone almost breaking me.

  "I've never been more sure of anything." I said and I saw a silver spark around the key card before a blast of blue light emitted from it, hitting Optimus' chest, which slide open to reveal the Matrix of Leadership. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Megatron slam Arcee into a wall before bounding towards us. Ratchet tried to stop the Decepticon Leader, but got a fist to the face in return, Megatron not slowing down once.

  Come on, come on!

  Finally, the stream of light stopped, the key card lifting out of my hand and growing to fit in the one of a Cybertronian. With Megatron just paces away, I looked up at Optimus in desperation to find a grim look on the Prime's face.

  "No!" Megatron leaped up, sword raised to kill and Jack yanked me back. For a second I feared that the sword would slice right into Optimus, but instead I saw the Prime had caught the blade between his hands.

  "Megatron," Optimus said, the uncertainty that was just in his tone long forgotten as his mask slide over his mouth. "Be gone."

  Hit after hit struck the Decepticon Leader, who couldn't regain his balance to strike back.  Optimus never gave him the chance, sending punch after punch to his enemy, not letting up once.

  Yes!

  Optimus sent Megatron one last hit that sent him slamming into the stone wall. The other Autobots took the opportunity to get to their feet and join their leader in the stand against the Decepticon, taking up defensive positions, though they looked injured.

  "Ratchet, how did we arrive here?" Optimus asked while Megatron was on his knees. "What are the children doing here as well?"

  "Long story, old friend." Ratchet replied, not even trying to keep the relief out of his tone.

  "Base to ground team!" Agent Fowler's voice came over the comms. "We're reading five Autobot life signals down there. Is Prime with you?"

  "And the kids." Arcee replied. I couldn't help but allow a smile.

  "Base, we're going to need a ground bridge." I said and in reply, one opened beside us. "It's ours!"

  Megatron started to get to his feet, the Autobots firing their guns in return.