(Shortstory #9) Friends part 1

Not Thomas Hewitt but I thought it was pretty cool! Heres the source

You loved his shy nature, how he would get so scared easily from stepping on a dandelion, to sum it up; he was pure. You couldn't understand why the rest of the kids were so ill towards him, insulting him, making fun of his little skin disease. Yet in the end, he walks home to enjoy your small interactions and conversations with him. As an orphan, you were home schooled inside the orphanage along with a few other kids, yet you also loved wandering out.

You happened to also come across the sad little Thomas who wore a plastic bag on his face during then. It sparked curiosity for your mind; what could he possibly be hiding behind there? You can recall when you two first met, it started off as you approaching to him for a greeting when he suddenly bolted off. You had done it a couple of times after, knowing his school schedule by now as he comes and leaves, what made you obscure was his silent personality, it was almost like he seemed scared to have you near him. You then grew to understand, that he was bullied around daily, by those pesky kids who terrorized him for his "ugliness". What made your blood boil was when they ripped off the paper bag, and what made you grip around the fence was when you finally saw his imperfection. Yet you also felt pity, and as you learned from your orphanage, it was to never judge someone from their looks.

Ever since that day, you would try to catch a small talk with him, yet only left with silence. As days passed by, he actually learned to open up from you, yet due to his inability to speak; he would often nod or shake his head. He still kept the paper bag with him, with the ridiculously messy eye holes he punctured, though you thought it was quite cute. He was a tad bit shorter than you, and a little pudgier, yet all the more you came to adore his adorable demeanor.

You went exited out the orphanage once again, assuring the rest of the staff of your leaving, you bolted off from the adrenaline that ran through your veins. The usual spot, the usual stop, you waited for at least a few minutes until you saw a little boy run towards you. He would often run, yet this seemed a bit too much in...Panic. You walked a pit fast paced towards his direction, and as you reached him, he slammed his body into yours while hugging your waist tightly. You could feel the dark blotches seep through the paper bag, it hurts your heart to see him like that. "Hey you!" Then came a little girl's voice, which made you glare at her menacingly. It only took a second for her to change her expression in a bit of fear, yet she still continued while her group was right behind her. "Are you ugly like him too?" With the rest of the kids laughing, you only bitterly replied back. "I wouldn't call myself ugly unless I was your own reflection." Kids dig this, and with that small insult of yours, the rest had oo'd towards the now fuming girl. She only ran towards you, aiming to snatch the paper bag from Thomas. You swiftly turned Thomas to the other direction, his face still dug on your shirt sleeve. You then stomped in front of the little girl, almost stepping on her black shoes on the process as she stumbled back from shock. The fall made her blue dress dirty from the mud, and her frills ruin to dirty brown as the other kids laughed or gasped in surprise. The most remarkable sound came through your 10 year old ears as you heard her wail, you could almost feel Thomas giggle too. You smirked in victory, before staring at the other kids who only backed up from your taller form, since you were at least 4 years older than them.

They scurried off, hearing the sound of the bus beep and a few adults yelling along the way, with you only left with Thomas who gripped your sleeves. You looked down once more, seeing the now wet paper bag that sloppily relaxed on his shoulders. You shot a smile at him, before patting the head of the bag. He only gripped tighter, before diving in to embrace you, and you could tell he was smiling beneath. You only giggled at his timid personality, before welcoming the hug from your own arms, and after a long pause you broke off.