Chapter 1-Roe

Author's note:

  I do welcome constructive criticism, but please no mean comments. Thank you, now on to the book.

*******

What on earth was I thinking? Roweena ranted to herself. Why did I let Joe talk me into driving all the way out here this late at night? It's nearly midnight, and I already know what Joe wants to talk about. He wants to set me up with one of his boys, so he can have all the glory of having me attached to his pack. I can't get him to understand that I don't want to be attached to any one pack. If I'm attached to a pack, that means I have to jump through all sorts of hoops in order to help someone from a different pack, and forget about helping someone from a different species. That would never be allowed. It's so stupid to me, I want the freedom to do what I want, and help who I want. Besides that, I'm only twenty-two, I'm not ready to settle down yet.

I should've insisted that I would come in the morning, but he said it had to be tonight. I absolutely hate this stupid road. It's so curvy, has nowhere to pull off if you have car trouble, and there's a sheer drop off on the right.

What on earth are those wolves doing this time? She thought to herself as she heard howling coming from the woods on her left. I'm not close enough to Sunset for it to be Joe's pack.

Just then, she rounded a curve in the road, and thump, she hit something. From the brief glance she got of it, it looked like a wolf. She slammed on her brakes and looked in the rear view mirror. There was a naked man laying in the middle of the road, where the wolf should have been. Well, crap! She thought, as she put the car in park, grabbed her flashlight, and jumped out. At least I wasn't going that fast.

As she ran toward the man in the road, she asked "Hey, are you okay?"

He moaned as he sat up. "I will be." Up close, the man looked like he was about Roweena's age, with shaggy light brown hair. It was hard to tell exactly what color his hair and eyes were using only a flashlight.

They heard the howling of the wolves getting closer. Well, now I know what they're doing, they're chasing this guy. "Come on," she told him. "We need to get out of here before those wolves get here."

He looked at her startled, "You're going to pick up a total stranger, who also happens to be naked, off the side of the road?"  He looked like he was asking himself if she was crazy.

"Well, it's the least I can do, considering I hit you with my car. Or would you rather stay here? With the wolves?"

"I think I'll take my chances with you."  He said wryly.

"Okay then, come on." she said, bending down and holding out a hand to help him up.

"I can make it to the car by myself." he said, struggling to his feet, then added sheepishly, "But would you mind looking around and seeing if you can find the backpack I was carrying? It has all my stuff in it."

"Sure." she said, standing up, looking around, and not seeing anything. Well if he's here, she thought, his bag should be relatively close by. She walked over to the edge of the road, and shined the light both ways.

A few feet from where she was standing, there was a small backpack laying in the grass on the side of the road. She grabbed it, and hurried towards her car. As she passed the mystery man, she heard the howling again, and said, "We have got to hurry, they're getting closer." she jerked open the back door of the car, "Get in the back, you'll have more room to get dressed back there."

"Okay" he said as he gingerly got in the car.

Roweena jumped in, slammed the car in gear, and sped off down the road.  "So, how badly are you hurt?" She asked.