Chapter 24-Joe

What do you know about Ashland and the Ridgeline pack? Adrian asked Roe.

The Ridgeline pack is based in Ashland, but their territory doesn't cover the entire town, so we could probably sneak through without them noticing. Roe replied. Especially if we stayed in the car, so they couldn't catch our scents.

And we don't know what they'd do if they caught us. Shane said.

You're right, we don't. Roe said, shrugging. But I know their Alpha, and I don't think he's in league with Major Marsden. I don't think Oakland's Alpha is either, at least not knowingly anyway.

But can you be sure? Adrian asked her.

No, I can't. That's why I didn't say anything about asking the Ridgeline Alpha for help. Right now, the only two people I trust are Joe and Special Agent Maitland. Besides you two, of course.

So, what's the plan? Shane asked.

Unless y'all have any objections, get her to drive us to the other side of town, I'll call Joe and have him meet us in the neutral territory. There's a motel there, I'm sure Adrian can convince them to let us borrow a room or stay in the back office until Joe gets there. Then he can rent a room and we can talk about what to do from there.

Sounds good to me. Shane said.

Fine with me. Adrian said.

Okay, Adrian get her phone from her and I'll go ahead and call Joe, so we won't have as long to wait for him. Roe said.

Adrian nodded to Roe, then turned to the woman driving the car. "Where is your cell phone?" He asked her.

"It's in my purse." She replied.

"Where's your purse?" Adrian asked, looking around the front of the car.

"In between the seats."

"Where in between the seats?" Adrian asked her, confused. He'd already looked, and didn't see a purse.

Roe leaned forward so she could look in between the front two seats.

The woman driving the car reached her hand in between the two front seats and pulling out a tiny purse, handed it to Adrian. It was barely larger than a cell phone.

As soon as she saw the purse, Roe started laughing. It's no wonder Adrian couldn't find it. It's little more than a phone case.

That's a purse? Adrian asked, holding it out to Roe.

Yes. She replied taking it from him, while trying to quit laughing.

What are y'all talking about? Shane asked, moving so he could see the purse in Roe's hand. Are you sure that's a purse? That looks more like a wallet to me.

Roe started laughing again. Yes, it's a purse. She replied, opening it and looking for the phone. It's more like a combination of a wallet and a phone case. A lot of women don't feel the need to carry around a lot of junk with them, so this is the answer to that.

Well, I guess that makes sense. Shane said dubiously.

What about you? Adrian asked Roe. Is that the kind of purse you carry?

Sometimes. It depends on what's going on, and what else I have to have.

Okay. He said.

I don't think that's the end of this subject. I'm pretty sure he's just dropping it for now, so I can call Joe and do what we need to so we can rescue the other people that Marsden has. She took out the phone and dialed Joe's private number.