Chapter 23-Escape Part 2

"That's great!" Shane exclaimed. "Let's hurry up and get out of here."

"Should we take his car, or try to run?" Roe asked.

"According to what I'm getting from him, we'd be more noticed if we tried to drive his car out of here than if we snuck off into the woods." Adrian replied, then handed the guard back his car keys.

"Okay, but remember I'm a lot slower than y'all are."

"If you need to, you can ride on Shadow." Shane told her.

"I could also carry you. We'll get there together, and quickly." Adrian said.

Roe nodded at them. "Okay. Let's get out of here."

Adrian turned to the guard. "I need you to go in that room." he said pointing to Shane's room. "Sort the meat that's in the refrigerator. One stack for drugged, and another stack for not drugged."

"Okay." The guard walked into Shane's room, and Adrian shut the door behind him.

"Spell time." Roe said. She placed the book on the table, and opened it to the correct spell. "Each of you put a hand on one of my shoulders. You both need to be touching me for this to work. And we should be able to see each other, but other people won't." They did as she asked, then Roe muttered the spell and waved her hands. "Okay. That's done. You don't have to touch me anymore. The spell should hold."

They both took a step toward the hallway door, and stood there waiting on Roe.

She picked up her grimoire and placed it on her left palm. As she muttered the spell and waved her hand over it, the book shrank until it fit in the palm of her hand. Adrian and Shane watched spellbound as the book got thinner and thinner then turned into a tattoo of itself on her palm. She lightly brushed it with her fingertips until it was on her forearm, then she stopped. She noticed the two men looking at her. "It'll migrate further up on its own. We need to get going."

"Okay." Shane said, then turned to Adrian. "Lead the way."

Adrian slowly opened the door and listened carefully. I don't hear anything, but let's stick to our link until we're out of here.

Okay. Shane said.

Okay. Roe agreed.

They quietly walked down the corridor, making so many turns Roe had gotten lost. Are we going the quickest way out? She asked Adrian.

Actually, no. That guard showed me the best way to get out without running into any guards. So, that's the route we're taking. It also takes us closest to the woods. Adrian replied.

So, if we're sneaking out invisibly, why couldn't we take any of the other prisoners with us? Shane asked.

I don't know how many people I can cloak, or for how long. The spell says that the more people, the less time we have. This is the first time I've been able to cast this spell. Roe answered him. It's just too dangerous to try to take anyone with us right now. I'm afraid we'd be somewhere surrounded by guards and my spell would fall.

Oh, I guess that makes sense. Shane replied sorrowfully.

We'll come back and get them. Hopefully before they have a chance to move anybody. And if not, we'll try to capture some of the guards and convince them that it's in their best interest to tell us where they went. Roe tried to reassure him. I'm not any happier about leaving them here than he is. I wish we could take them with us, but it's impossible right now. The sooner we get to Joe, the sooner we can get them all out.

After a few more twists and turns, they approached another door. This one looked like it was steel, and would lead to the outside. Adrian stopped just before opening it. This should be the door to the outside. The guard he knew where it was because he'd had to patrol it, but he'd never opened it. He wasn't sure, but he didn't think there was an alarm on it. We need to be careful, just in case.