Chapter 19-Decisions

"What? Why?" Shane asked, surprised.

"It's hard for other people to accept the fact that there's somebody that's just as important as they are to their mate." They look super confused. How can I explain this so that there's no misunderstanding later if they do mark me?

"Okay, for example. Shane if you marked me, then found a girl you wanted to be with. She would have a hard time accepting the fact that I was just as important to you as she was. It would be the same for me or for Adrian. If I found someone I wanted to be with, he would have a hard time accepting the fact that you two would be just as important to me as he was. It's difficult for people to understand the fact that their mate is just as attached to someone else as they are to them. They don't think it's fair that they aren't the single most important thing in their mates' life."

"All right." Adrian said.

"All right, what?" Roe asked, confused.

"I'm okay with it. I think it sounds like a good idea."

"Are you sure? I just told you that you may never have a mate." I don't think he understands what I'm telling him.

"I know. If I was going to have a mate, I would've found her by now." He shrugged. "Getting out of here without any of us getting hurt, and rescuing everyone else here is more important to me than some mystery woman I haven't met yet, and probably will never meet."

"Okay. Just so you know that I'm not hiding anything, I'm not overjoyed with the idea myself. Not that I have anything against either of y'all. I just wanted to...I guess have more time." She shook her head.

"You wanted to be able to pick who you wanted and have the time to completely go over everything with them and make sure it was the right decision. Not just a spur of the moment thing where you didn't really have a choice."

"Exactly." Roe sighed with relief. I'm so glad Adrian understands. I hope Shane will too.

Shane had been silent since Roe revealed why it was so hard to find mates after marking a witch.

"Shane, you okay?" Roe asked him.

"Yeah. Just thinking."

"Okay." Roe said. "I'm going to let the spell drop. Why don't we have some lunch so you can have some time to think about what I've said. Do you have any questions first?"

"Yes, I do have one."

"Sure. What is it?"

"If neither of us find mates, are you going to have kids with us?"

Roe opened and closed her mouth, stunned by the question.

"I don't know about Adrian, but I will need a child to take over my pack eventually."

"Oh, I hadn't really thought about that. I have no problem having a child with you, but the odds of that child being a werewolf are slim. Usually only about a third of our kids are not witches."

"That doesn't help me much, though."

"No, not really." Roe paused. "If we do wind up doing this, I promise you that I'll help you find a mate to the best of my ability."

Shane nodded. "I need to think about it for a little while."

"Okay." Roe said. "I understand."

"Even if you decide not to, I will mark Roe, and we should have enough power to escape." Adrian tried to reassure Shane that he still had a choice in the matter.

Shane just nodded his head, deep in thought.

It will probably work with just Adrian, but it would be so much easier, especially in the long run, with Shane too. But I really do understand that he's thinking about the future of his pack, not just himself. He's acting so responsible. Up until now, I wouldn't have thought he'd actually think past right now. He's seemed like such a hot head so far. Maybe he does have a sense of responsibility. Roe thought. She let the spell drop, then said "Okay, I'm going to make me a sandwich. I know you don't want one, Adrian, do you Shane?"