Chapter 13-Removal

Boudreau made a small slit in the skin, just long enough for Roe to squeeze the bullet out. She got the bullet out without much more damage than it had already done. As soon as she got it out, the wound started slowly healing.

He's healing much slower than I thought he would. I wonder if it's a side effect of the wolfsbane they said was on the bullets. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

"Do you think that's the only one?" Parker asked Roe.

"I think so. I counted four wounds on his front, and now there's four on his back. I don't see any blood on his pants that would indicate a wound on his legs. If there's another one, I don't have any idea where it would be or how to find it." Roe shook her head. "I think we're just going to have to wait a little while and see if he wakes up. I don't know anything else to do right now."

"All right. Let's get him hung back up on the wall before he wakes up." Parker said, anxiously.

"I have to bandage him first, but why?" Roe asked, as she picked up the bag of supplies, and looked through it.

As Roe started to bandage Shane's back, Parker answered evasively. "He needs to be chained up securely."

"But why? He's hurt?"

"He's more dangerous than you know. They both are. If you want to let them loose when we're not in here, it's your funeral." Parker shook his head. "I just don't want to be here for it."

"Okay. I can understand that. But can't we leave him like he is? You'll be gone shortly."

"No, I talked to Maj-Mr. Marsden about it. He said that to begin with they needed to be re-chained like they were. In order to give you time to get used to the idea of what they are before they're released."

"Is it still going to be up to me when I release them, after you leave?"

"Yes, but I assume you'll be leaving them chained up until they regain consciousness, since you didn't want to take them down by yourself while they were unconscious."

"Yes." Roe nodded.

"Okay, if you're done bandaging him, let's get him re-attached to the wall. Then we can go on to the next one."

"Fine." Roe conceded. That's just stupid. There isn't anything he can do while he's unconscious. I bet it's just Parker's fear making him want to chain them back up while he's in here. "I'm done bandaging him."

"Great!" Parker sounds happy to get out of here.

Parker and Boudreau got Shane off of the bed and into place against the wall. Boudreau held Shane up while Parker retracted the chains until he was securely attached to the wall again.

While Parker and Boudreau were getting Shane chained back onto the wall, Roe gathered up all of the bandage supplies and put them back in the bag.

"Now that this one is back where he's supposed to be, are you ready to deal with the other one?"

"Sure. I'm ready when y'all are."

"Let's get this over with." Parker said impatiently.

Roe led the way into Adrian's room. "Same thing we did before?" She asked.

The two men looked at each other then back at her. "Sure." Parker said.

Roe nodded. After Boudreau took his knife out and cut Adrian's jacket and shirt off, Roe inspected him for bullet wounds. Then Parker walked over and grasped Adrian under the arms as Boudreau went to release the chains. Once there was enough slack, Boudreau came back to Parker and helped him get Adrian face down on the bed.