Chapter 7-Military Involvement

"You've been shot. Why didn't you say anything?" Special Agent Maitland asked, surprised.

"When exactly was I supposed to have said something? While Officer Reynolds was attempting to rape me?" Roe asked sarcastically, scowling at him. "Was I supposed to say 'Oh, Mr. Rapist, please don't, I've been shot.' Do you really think that would've accomplished anything?"

Special Agent Maitland stood there looking at her, as his mouth opened and closed silently.

It seems like I've made him speechless. Roe thought to herself with a silent laugh. My sarcasm game is better than I thought.

Special Agent Maitland finally found his voice, and turned toward the men near the door. "Pierce, bring your bag over here." As the officer walked toward them, Maitland said "She's been shot."

When Pierce got over to them, he said "Miss, please sit down so I can check on your wound." Roe sat on the bed, and Pierce started working on her arm. He was a slender man about five foot nine with slightly shaggy blonde hair.

"Okay, Miss....I don't know your name." Special Agent Maitland said.

"My name is Roweena Cavenaugh."

"All right, will you please tell me what happened?"

Roe told Special Agent Maitland everything that had happened between her and Officer Reynolds.

"So, you expect me to believe that he wanted you to have sex with him in front of the rest of us?" Special Agent Maitland skeptically asked Roe.

"No, not really, but it is the truth." Roe replied with a shrug.

"Sir, if I may?" Pierce asked.

"What is it Officer Pierce?"

"I believe her."

"And why exactly, do you believe her?"

"I've seen this before."

"Seen what before?" Special Agent Maitland asked him.

Pierce hung his head. "I've been on missions with Officer Reynolds before. There have been women that, according to him, propositioned him to thank him for rescuing them. He had sex with them in front of the rest of the team."

"Okay. What makes you think that it didn't happen the way Officer Reynolds said it did?"

"After he was done with one of the girls, I was checking her for wounds, and she asked me if she needed to pay me, like she'd paid the other guy for rescuing her."

"Why haven't you said anything about this before now?"

"I haven't had any evidence, and the girls disappeared shortly afterwards." He shrugged, then looked Special Agent Maitland dead in the eye, gestured to Roe he said. "This one is here, and you're here. I thought now was a good time to say something, since she's already told you what he tried do to her."

"Hmm. Do you remember the names of the other girls?"

"No Sir, not off the top of my head. But I wrote down what I saw as soon as I got back to the office. My notes are in my safe, though I didn't note which officer it was, just in case someone got into my notes."

"Why not?"

"Reynolds has friends, sir."

"Ah, I believe I understand. Do you know if anyone can corroborate your story about what the girl asked you?"

"I'm not sure." He said thinking about it. "I did, however write down who else was there at the time, and who may have overheard what that girl asked me."