Until Your Heart Caves In

"Lay the newspaper on the ground while I get the paint and brushes ready." Chris ordered from the hall.

"Sure thing." I replied from the room, beginning to lay out pieces and pieces of newspaper out onto the whole floor.

We recently bought a small but not too small house with your roommate, Chris. He wants to save money by improving the house by ourselves and not hire real contractors. We're fine with it because I get to bond with my friend. Since he and the rest of my friends tour constantly, we hardly have time to talk about how touring went. I miss talking.

"Alright, Christopher. All set, bring forth the paint." I giggled, leaning against the door frame.

Chris walks in past me, holding two buckets of purple and black paint, a paint brush, a rolling stick brush thing, a tray and a metal thing to open the buckets.

"You're stupid." He laughs, bending down to open the bucket of purple paint.

"I know. That's why we're so much alike." I chuckle, walking back into the room. He tosses me the small paint brush while he takes the big rolling stick thing.

I arch a drawn on eyebrow. "And why do I get the tiny brush?" I scoff.

He looks over at me after pouring purple paint into the tray.

"Because you're a chick. I don't need you fucking this up with your shitty paint job." He says with a smirk on his lips.

"Asshole." I laugh, flipping him off.

He rolls his stick on the tray, slowly picking it up and beginning with the back wall. The only wall with a window.

"Start painting, I wanna finish this wall before we head out for lunch." He says, rolling his brush onto the white wall so smoothly.

"Are you buying?" I teased.

He chuckled. "Um, no. You're buying. I bought you the paint for your room. That's how you'll repay me." I roll my eyes and dip my paint in the tray.

I begin painting the other end of the wall while Chris does the other. We spend hardly an hour on this one but my only problem is, I can't reach the top of the wall. As tall as I am compared to Chris, which is to his chin, I'm surprised that I can't reach.

"Help." I say, seeing Chris sitting on a box, drinking water. He's sweating and his eyebrows are smearing like if he was performing on stage.

"One minute. Taking a break here." He sighed, getting on his feet. I notice his hair sticking to his face from the little droplets on his porcelain cheeks.

Chris grunts and takes his shirt off, sighing in relief. I dig for my phone and decide to play music.

This Is The New Shit by Marilyn Manson began and Chris smiled.

"Fuck yeah." He started painting the spots I missed at the top.

I stand back and watch Chris sing and move to the song. He finishes right as the song ended and HIM's Join Me In Death started.

"Alright, the opposite of this wall, meaning your closet wall will be purple as well?" I nod. "The door's wall and the wall where you bed will be at will be painted black, correct?" I nod again.

He nods, understanding and goes over to the closet wall.

"The door to the closet will be black. The door to the hall will be purple." I reminded. He nods and proceeds to go to the closet wall.

"Can you please open the window? It's hot in here." I groaned from the doorway, trying to get air from the hall.

"Just get back in here, take off your shirt and help me put this blue tape on the closet door and edges so we can go eat." He smirked, applying the blue tape on the door.