Issue #28: Conversating With a Canary

"So how exactly did you end up here? You definitely don't seem like the type of hero they put in the Justice League." Black Canary said as she looked for an ice pack for me while I sat on a stretcher.

"What do you mean by that?" I asked her.

"You remind me of my friend, Helena. She doesn't really play by the League's rules and is always on a very short leash with Batman. To call her apart of the bat family is a little... eh." She said.

"Well you've got a point there." I said. "Long story short: I was apart of this team of bad guys being sent on Suicide missions for the government where if we failed they killed us with Killer Frost. Me and her were able to get the bombs they were using to control us out of our heads and were about to escape one of the Suicide missions before I supposedly died. Killer Frost went and apparently convinced them to have Flash do his stupid run back in time thing and save me, And in turn we'd join the Justice League. That being said, you don't seem like you're really apart of the League either."

"That's because I'm technically not. I'm apart of Justice League Unlimited. A bunch of extra hands they have around in case they need them. The real Justice League is only Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, two of the Green Lanterns, Martian Manhunter And Cyborg."

"Wait, how many green lanterns are there?" I asked.

"A lot. Anyway I wasn't always that well liked around here either. I used to be on the same boat as Helena a couple years ago. Long story short, I had a very stern, violent talking to with Batgirl, which then turned into a one sided stern talking to from Wonder Woman before I actually saved her life and she made me join the JLU."

"They had to get you to stop killing?"

"No. They just told me to stop crippling as much as I used to. Now where the hell are the damn ice packs?" Black Canary said. After she did, Caitlin and Barbara came walking in.

"Hey, pinball." Caitlin said walking over to me and putting her arms around me from behind. As she did I started to feel like the room was getting a little colder.

"Frost insisted that she needed to be his ice pack again and that we were out of ice packs even though she didn't even give me enough time to check before." Barbara said with her arms crossed.

"Wait, 'again'? How many times did you get your ass kicked since you got here?" Black Canary asked.

"Once from you. Superman crushed my hand, though." I said.

"Wait, you did that well after getting your hand crushed by Clark? You might have more potential than I thought."

"I'll try to take that as a compliment. Wait, were you guys watching the whole time?" I asked Caitlin and Barbara.

"Mayyyybeeee?" Caitlin said. "But I promise it was all moral support. Even when you got thrown around like a rag doll."

"Okay that was cold." I said making Caitlin laugh.

"What? Am I finally rubbing off on you?" Caitlin asked. "Also, I'll make it up to you later if you want.~" Barbara rolled her eyes after Caitlin said it.

"Ugh. Love. Makes me wanna vomit." Canary said.

"I thought you had a thing for Green Arrow?" Barbara asked her.

"What? Me and Ollie? Maybe in a universe with an evil Superman." Black Canary said. I noticed Barbara and Canary weren't making a lot of eye contact and seemed like they were avoiding talking to each other.

"Well I mean from my point of view-"

"You realize he can hear everything you say and can throw you into space without a mask in a blink of an eye, right?" Caitlin asked me.

"That only would prove my point." I whispered to her.

"He also heard that." Caitlin whispered back.

"So did we. You're not that good at whispering." Canary said chuckling.

"I guess I should start heading back home. It's getting late." Barbara said.

"Wait. Home as in Gotham? How do you even get back?" I asked.

"Cyborg usually just boom tubes me home."

"Do you think he can drop me off, too?" I asked.

"Actually, Bruce doesn't trust you enough to leave the watchtower by yourself." Barbara said.

"What!? So what, does that mean I have to sleep up here!?" I asked.

"Actuallyyyyyyyyy..." Barbara trailed off.

"You can't be serious." I said while Black Canary laughed. After that, someone opened the door.

"You must be (Y,N). Batman said you might be in here. My name's John." A guy in a Green Lantern suit said extending his hand for a handshake. He seemed like the least lame Green Lantern ever so I decided to shake it. "Batman actually wanted me to come get you."

"Well, I guess that's our cue to leave." I said.

"'Our'?" Barbara and Canary said.

"Yeah. Our." Caitlin said getting off of me so I could get up from the stretcher I had been sitting on.

"So I'm guessing same time tomorrow?" I asked Canary.

"You seem a lot more enthused about this than you were when I saw you and Bruce talking." Black Canary said.

"Well I didn't know you'd be one of the cool ones before." I said. "Later, Barbara."

"Yeah, later." Barbara said. She seemed kinda upset about something. Caitlin and I walked out of the medical bay with John.

"Hey, I never got a chance to ask you: how has your day been?" I asked Caitlin.

"Pretty boring. I basically just sat in a room and got long winded speeches from Wonder Woman and Superman about using my powers for good and about how they see potential in me." Caitlin said.

"So basically, my day but not as a backhanded compliment and not while being beat up or having your hand crushed or getting batglared." I said. Caitlin laughed.

"Yeah, pretty much." She said smiling at me.