Issue #32: In The Know

I walked out of the meeting with Barbara and Batman with only one thing on my mind. Despite her best efforts, I convinced Barbara to leave me alone for a few minutes as I walked back to my room. I hesitated before knocking.

"Hey, uh, Cait? Can we talk?" I asked.

"...Come in." She said. I opened the door and saw Caitlin playing with snow in our room.

"I doubt we'd even make it this far if I wore a different type of costume. Like if I had a tank top or something instead of the coat." I said trying to joke around. My nervous laughter quickly wore thin. "Look, Caitlin I'm sorry about this morning-"

"You don't have to apologize." Cait said looking back at me. "I shouldn't have made such a big deal about it-"

"No you were right. Listen, I haven't really appreciated you as much as I should, especially since you saved my life. And even if you are possessive from time to time you have a right to be bec-"

"If you're going to repeat that whole speech you gave Canary earlier you can save it." She said cracking a slight smile.

"You heard that?"

"Yeah. And it was really sweet. You didn't have to say all that for me." She started walking over to me.

"Well I guess if you're over possessive I get to be over protective."

"Don't push it." She said letting out a small laugh.

"Listen, I've gotta tell you something."

"I... also have something to tell you."

"What is it?"

"You start, you mentioned it first." Caitlin told me. I sighed before explaining it to her.

"Batman and Batgirl came up to me with an offer to join one of two teams: Batman Incorporated or Teen Titans. It's going to get me out of this floating wreck and I decided to think about joining Batman Inc., but I didn't wanna go unless I talked to you about it first to see how you felt about it." I told her. Her eyes slightly widened. "I know it's kinda spur of the moment since we just got here and you probably would hate if I just kinda dipped on you especially since, again, you saved my life. Besides if you wanna, I can try to convince Bats to let you come with m-" I was interrupted by Caitlin hugging me.

"God, you're such a dumbass."

"Huh?"

"Of course you had to tell me this before I told you my thing." Caitlin said before letting go of me and scratching the back of her head. "Flash and Superman didn't really give me the same amount of freedom when it came to that. They want me to be apart of this thing called Unlimited. They forced me to join it." She explained. "But, as bummed as I am about the whole situation, seeing you so concerned about me and what I think is heart warming to say the least." A concerned look grew on my face. "What?"

"You said you were joining Justice League Unlimited?" I asked her.

"Yeah? What's wrong?"

"I remember talking to Canary a while ago and that's what she's on." I said. Caitlin shrugged.

"Who cares what that bitch thinks? I'll survive. Things shouldn't be that difficult." She said. "But thanks for caring." She pulled me closer before kissing me. We started to sink into it before there was a knock on the door.

"Just ignore it, and they'll go away." I said.

"Shut up, they'll hear you." Caitlin said before going back into the kiss. There was another knock on the door making us groan in annoyance. Caitlin walked over to the door and opened it irritatedly to Black Canary. "What do you want?"

"I'm not here to fight." Canary said. "I wanted to come here to apologize to the both of you about the things that I've said. (Y,N)'s right, I haven't been giving you enough credit. You were the one that was willing to trade their freedom for somebody's life and if that's not a sign of redemption I don't know what is. And besides, if we're going to be teammates we should be able to trust each other."

"I don't know. Spent a year and a half going on suicide missions on a team with an Australian with an obsession with 'goolies' and boomerangs, an alligator man who was probably 12 seconds away from eating me at all times, two psychopathic clowns obsessed with an even more psychopathic clown, and a girl being possessed by an ancient witch from a haunted house she went into and made it out of that alive without trusting anyone of them except for a bullet boy that went through walls for a single second." Caitlin said folding her arms. She looked over at me with a smile.

"Haven't heard you call me that in a while, snowflake." I whispered making her giggle. She looked back at Canary.

"But... apology accepted." She said. "Just don't compare me to an anime thing again and we'll be fine." After she said that Barbara walked into the room.

"Uh, hey (Y,N), I just got done talking with Bruce and he told me that we're going to be leaving for Gotham in 5 days." She told me.

"Leaving for Gotham? For what?" Canary asked.

"(Y,N)'s joining this group of Batman's buddies called Batman Inc. in order to get him off this ship as soon as possible." Caitlin explained.

"And how come nobody told me? Y'know, the girl who's supposed to be training him?"

"I dunno." I shrugged. Barbara looked like she was hiding something and didn't dare to look Canary in the eyes as Canary caught on quickly and glared daggers at Barbara.

"Well then, if you don't mind, (Y,N) and I are going to have to make up for lost time and speed up my plans for him. You can come watch if you want, Frost." Canary said.

"Yeah, sure. I guess watching your boyfriend get beat up is better than not spending any time with him before you don't see him for like a month." Caitlin shrugged.

"Yeah, totally." I agreed.

"....... HEY, WAIT A MINUTE!"