Issue #46: Back in Action

"Zzzzzzzzzz..."

"(Y,N)."

"Zzzzzzzzz..."

"(Y,N)!"

"Zzzzzzzzz..."

"Let me try. (Y,N) GET UP!" I heard before someone threw a Can at my head.

"OW!" I said getting up.

"Did you seriously sleep through an entire day?" Stephanie asked with her arms crossed with Barbara.

"No. I clearly got up for like ten minutes." I said pointing at the spray painted "NIGHTWING SUX!" on my wall. "Ow, that hurt! What the hell did you- OH SHIT IS THAT A RED BULL!? GIMME GIMME GIMME!" I said before opening it.

"Hurry up and get in your gear. You're going on patrol with Me, Tim and Cass." Stephanie said before putting on her Spoiler mask and putting her hood up and walking out of the room.

"You two seemed to have gotten along." Barbara said.

"Oh yeah, it was a real blast. Hey, did you know her name's Spoiler because she would spoil all the answers to her dad's crimes?"

"Yes. Everyone on the team knows that."

"Oh... well I probably heard it first." I said drinking the Red Bull.

"Just hurry up and get dressed, moron." Barbara said leaving the room. I got up off my bed and stretched before looking at myself in the mirror.

"Alright, first day no killing. You can do this. No matter how many rapists and drug dealers you see you can't kill them. Just trust Gordon can somehow hold more leverage in the courts then Hill. Ugh, that's right I never killed Hill! That gig is what started this whole mess in the first place! But it's fine. Now you know Babs and you don't wanna disappoint her, right? Right." I told myself before getting dressed. I put on my armor but then realized the whole skulls and scopes and stuff didn't really fit the whole superhero stchick so I put on the Batman shirt Babs got me, then my trench coat, my modified wrist cannons, clipped some batarangs to my belt, and finally put on my mask. "Doesn't really scream member of the Bat family, huh?" I said to myself. "...Good." I left the room with my red bull in my hand and attempted to drink from it only to remember I was wearing my mask. "Aw, shit." I said.

"Uh, Hey, (Y,N). Need help?" Tim asked me.

"Huh? Oh, hey, Tim. Nah, I'm pretty much done with it anyway." I said before dropping the rest of the Can on the floor.

"You gonna pick that up?" Batwing asked me.

"...No, probably not." I said.

"Alright, Everyone. Basic patrol. Things have been relatively quiet in the streets lately. If you see any criminal activity put a stop to it unless it has to do with a member of Gotham City's rogue gallery. If it involves any major player, contact me immediately so I can, in turn, notify the rest of the team to randevu at your position. Do I make myself clear?" Batwoman asked. I was gonna say "loud and clear boss bat lady" but Barbara and Stephanie elbowed me at the same time to let me know I wasn't supposed to say anything. "Alright, Good. Clayface, you're with Azrael and Batwing. Batgirl you're with me. Red Robin, Spoiler, Orphan, (H/N), you're all one unit. Now spread out." After Batwoman said that, everyone went in separate directions. Batwing who flew out, Clayface followed him by grabbing hold of his foot and like slithering up his leg and onto his back before turning into a backpack, Orphan ran off... somewhere, Tim grappling hooked out of the building, Azrael drew a circle around himself in fire and then disappeared, and Stephanie, Batgirl, and Batwoman all went in their own respective motorbikes.

"Hey, Wait, What am I supposed to catch a ride on!?" I asked. After I did, Stephanie drove over to me on her bike.

"Hop on."

"I'm not riding bitch."

"I'll tell Batwoman you said that and that's why you abandoned the mission." Stephanie said before I groaned and got on behind her and wrapped my arms around her stomach.

"At least in the Squad we all-"

"Tell you what, you go the whole night without bringing up your old 'pals' again and I'll buy you another Red Bull."

"Buy me a red wine."

"We can't hand people fake IDs when we're on duty, idiot." Stephanie said before driving off. "I copy, Red Robin."

"What?"

"Put this on." She said handing me an earpiece.

"What the hell is this?"

"I assume that's (H/N)?" Tim said. Okay we're using gimmick names now.

"What was your first clue, Rob? My voice?" I asked.

"Batwoman told me she and Batgirl are heading to the narrows. I suggest we go to the East End." Tim said.

"Hey how come she told him where she was going but not us?" I asked Steph taking out my earpiece.

"Because Red Robin's her favorite. She sees him more as an equal and less as a subordinate." Stephanie said. I put my earpiece back in.

"Well, I've got a better idea. Why don't we go up North instead? Around the Iceberg Lounge Area. Sure if we go to the East End, Which is practically still the narrows by the way, we'll catch a mugging or something. But if we go to that area up North we're more likely to stop a drug deal or a meeting between two elitist asshats like Black Mask and Great White Shark."

"Wow. That's surprisingly well thought out." Steph said.

"I got around back in the day. I know where to find the criminals that deserve to be shot." I told her. "Except this time I won't be shooting them I guess."

"Alright, then I guess we'll go to the Northern part of town." Tim said.

"Right." I heard Cassandra say. I took out my earpiece again.

"She doesn't really talk much, does she?"

"I mean, she's still learning." Stephanie said.

"Huh?"

"Cass's father was a bigger asshole than either of ours."

"Hey! My dad tries to be a good dad!"

"Is he not an asshole?"

"...Continue."

"Instead of raising her like a daughter, he raised her to be a weapon. Her first language is pain, and she's fluent in punching and kicking. She can't write a basic sentence and she can barely form sentences that are more than twelve words long but she can break your arm in 29 different ways. Clayface is teaching her as much as he can by reading scripts with her. They're really good friends. But anyway, don't bring up the speaking thing with her. She's very self conscious about it."

"Oh, shit. Yeah, of course I won't bring it up to her. That's really messed up. What type of human would do that to his own daughter?"

"There isn't a type of human that would do that." Stephanie said. As we drove to the Northern part of Gotham no one really said anything and just focused on getting there until I remembered something.

"STOP THE BIKE!" I shouted making Stephanie almost sputter out of control.

"What!? What is it!?" She asked panicked.

"...I gotta make a phone call."