Issue #56: Wrath of Bane Part 5: Don't Get Hurt

"Bullshit!"

"I thought I told you not to swear like me..." I muttered as Jason, Babs, Steph, and I were all in the room with Cass and Ma Gunn.

"(Y,N) had way more wrong with him but I'm still... not good enough to fight!?" Cass argued. She can go a lot longer without hesitating in her sentences now and she can say some longer words now, too.

"Cassandra, his injuries were all minor considering your line of work and he's still going out against my wishes. You need to go through major physical therapy before you even think about climbing a ladder again, let alone fighting crime." Ma Gunn explained.

"I want to make Bane pay for what he did to us!"

"And he will pay, Cass. But we need you to stay on the sidelines for now." Jason said to her.

"Besides, (Y,N) isn't fighting tonight."

"Bullshit!" I said to Babs.

"Yeah, be honest with yourself. There's no way we're stopping him from fighting." Jason said.

"Well even if for some reason he ends up fighting tonight, which he's not, we're going to use him for his connections he made while working undercover with the Suicide Squad." Babs said. "Maybe then we can find out Bane's plan."

"Hey, weren't you guys all trained by the World's Greatest Detective? Can't you do some like... detective work to figure it out?" I asked.

"Sure, and you can go back to bed, smartass." Jason said.

"Alright, fair."

"We leave in an hour. I'll be listening from across the street and Steph and Jason will be close by in case something goes wrong and you need backup." Babs explained. "Good luck and please don't get hurt." She said before looking away nervously.

"What's with that look on your-" I began to ask before she hugged me.

"I've gotta go get ready." She said before walking away.

"...Are you and Barbara-?"

"No!" I told Jason. "I didn't mean for it to come out like that but we're not a thing."

"Right... well, I should probably gear up, too. And you should do the same." Jason said before walking away. I walked out after him before I looked over at Steph who had just been standing there the whole time.

"Hey." She looked up at me.

"Hey..."

"You've been uncharacteristically quiet since... me and Cass got our shit pushed in." I said. "I heard you went a little cuckoo for coco puffs a week or so ago when interrogating some clowns at Amusement Mile... you wanna talk about it?"

"I don't know. I can't even talk about it because I don't know what I'm feeling right now besides regret."

"Well you're smart. I'm sure you'll figure it out." I said. "Speaking of smart, I totally forgot, how's Tim doing?"

"...Fine. Better than fine actually, which kinda... hurts."

"What do you... oh. You two broke up?"

"Yeah."

"Right now? While he's in critical condition and probably needs emotio-"

"Don't make me feel like more of an asshole right now, okay? Please..."

"Alright, sure. Sorry."

"The thing is he didn't fight or anything, which you think makes it easier but it's just like... they didn't care enough to fight to stay with you, y'know? Were things really that obvious?"

"To be honest, yes. The way you complained about him whenever you talked about him. I feel like there's only so many times you can say 'I love him, but' before you drop that and just have to say what comes after the 'but'." I said. "If you don't mind me asking, why'd you do it now? What was the breaking point?" She looked over at me with glassy eyes before looking away.

"I don't wanna talk about it yet." She said.

"You said 'yet'. That means you'll tell me later?"

"Eventually."

"Alright, sick." I said. "Hey, how about after this mission, you and me go get a drink?"

"I thought you stopped doing that."

"Yeah, but you haven't started yet." I said.

"Hey, (Y,N)! Come here!" I heard Jason shout down the hall.

"I'll talk to you later. See you out there." I said.

"Please don't get hurt." Stephanie told me.

"Fine, mom!" I groaned before walking down the hall to talk to Jason. "What's up?"

"Well, I was thinking about how Bane kicked your ass and how when we rescued you you were missing your mask."

"Oh, yeah. Bane smashed it to bits. I totally forgot about that."

"Right, so I thought I'd give you this." Jason said tossing me a helmet. It was red (of course) but It reminded me of my old mask with the skull over the face area. There wasn't a top so my hair would flow free like it did with my mask, too. "It's a helmet I never used and I thought it'd work with you better."

"Thanks, man. I appreciate it." I said before I chuckled.

"What's so funny?"

"I just thought about the red helmet with my powers. I'm like a Crimson Ghost. You know, like that old crime movie?"

"Huh. The Crimson Ghost has a nice ring to it." Jason said. "Alright, well you better go suit up."

"Hey, where exactly are we going anyway?" I asked.

. . .

"What's the matter, (Y,N)? Got the chills?" Jason asked.

"Ha ha, very funny. But yes actually. Figuratively and literally." I said looking at The Iceberg Lounge. "This place gives me memories. Good ones, but the good ones eventually lead me to thinking about the bad ones... hey, can a break up give you PTSD?"

"Will you two, focus?" Babs asked over our headpieces. I started to walk over to the bouncer at the entrance and took off my mask.

"We're closed. VIP members only." The bouncer said. Oh shit, I forgot about this part.

"I'm with Amanda Waller." I said putting my hands in my pockets.

"Not on the list."

"Well it was worth a shot." I slowly put on two brass knuckles before the bouncer looked like he was listening to something. He looked down at me before opening the door.

"Follow me." He instructed. I looked over at a security camera looking directly at me.

"...I've got a bad feeling about this." Jason, Barbara, and I all said at the same time.