Chapter 13

Lena walked down the narrow, shadowy corridor to Sam's apartment after being persuaded to go over for dinner, an event that Lena still wasn't happy with. Her heels clicked softly and slowly off of the wooden floor that creaked ever slow slightly whenever she shifted her weight from one foot to the other. Her choice of outfit replicating her dark times as the high school goth, only this time she had no preppy blonde walking by her side, now she only had a ghost. She knocked quietly on Sams' apartment door, hoping that she wouldn't answer and she could go back to eating ice cream by the tub fill with nothing but her hands. But of course Lena could hear Sam's voice shouting 'Its open!'  from the other side of the cream white, freshly painted door, the numbering on the door slightly squint. A fact that Lena tried her best to not pay attention to knowing that it would stick in her mind for the rest of the already painful evening. 

Lena swung the door open quietly shuffling her body inside of the warm apartment as the smell of home cooking hit her nostrils, making her mouth water, she looked around the beautiful apartment, so modern and clean yet at the same time felt like it had been lived in for hundreds of years, Lena imagined that if you wanted to make a candle that smelt like home you would take your inspiration from this apartment. She shrugged her long black coat off, hanging it up on the back of the door with the rest of the family's outdoor wear. She kicked her high heeled boots off without a second thought, the balls of her feet starting to ache, she was never much good at walking in them she much prepared a casual sneaker. 

She looked over to the open planned kitchen and saw Sam hovering over a huge pot sitting, bubbling away on the stove, Ruby setting the small table just in front of the kitchen counter, with the most spectacular china possible, Lena always was a nerd for those sorts of things and by the looks of it so were Sam and Ruby. The girl looked up at Lena smiling happily, giving her mothers house guest a friendly wave before returning to setting the table. Sam span around when she had noticed Lena's presence inside the apartment, smiling softly, she wasn't sure of Lena would keep her promise and actually show up for dinner, but she was happy that she did. 

"Wine?" Sam asked casually, pouring a crystal glass of deep red wine without even waiting for a reply from Lena, pushing it across the Kitchen counter and into Lena's hand who picked it up gratefully, she had turned into quite the alcoholic after her fight with Kara. "Dinners almost ready." Sam said, taking a small sip from her own half filled glass, letting the red liquid coat her throat protectively, a warm feeling building in her chest as it made its way further into her body. Lena nodded, a small smile on her face was the most emotion that she could muster, her own throat was practically numb from her sobbing. A small beeping noise came from the stove where the pot was perched, Sam turned around, "That's it ready, take a seat Lena." Sam said again as she went to plate up her home cooked meal that she made especially for the Luthor. Lena and Ruby sat opposite each other at the small dining table that was really only ever meant to sit two people. 

Sam walked over to the table placing a steaming hot plate in front of the brunette who melted at the smell as she imagined that this must be what heaven was like. Sam chuckled as she gauged Lena's reaction before sitting down at the table herself, managing to squeeze herself in just about. 

"Bon appetite!"

*******************************************************************************************

"And do you remember her face!"

"How could I forget! If looks could kill!" 

Lena and Sam laughed as the reminisced about all the scientist drama at the lab, and there was a whole lot of it, people of science tended to be competitive in that way. Sam had only started working in Lena's lab a couple of months ago but they had already become fast friends listening to each others drama and helping each other through the difficult parts in their lives. Ruby couldn't stop cackling at her mum and Lena's stories, she had never seen her mum this happy in years, Sam was surprised that her neighbours hadn't come down to complain with all the noise they were making. 

*********************************************************************************************

Lena glanced up at the clock as she sat on Sam's couch, Ruby had retreated to her room after they had finished dinner and the other two women moved their conversation to the living room, and Lena had no idea how long they had been talking until she saw the time, it was almost midnight and she had to work tomorrow before she risked being fired as soon as she walked through the front door. 

"I better get going." Lena said sadly as she got to her feet, stretching her legs that had started to cramp, Sam sighed standing up beside her, a sad smile on her face. 

"I hope you feel a little better after tonight." Sam said quietly, Lena nodded unable to hide the small smile that appeared on her ruby red lips. 

"I do and I only have you to thank, this was the first time in god knows how long that I've had a stress free night!" Lena's voice cracked slightly as she gulped deeply. Sam puled the brunette into a tight hug squeezing softly before pulling back slightly after only a few seconds and Lena wished that it would have gone on for longer, much longer. 

"Goodnight Lena." Sam whispered kissing Lena gently on the cheek, rubbing her shoulders. 

"Goodnight Sam." Lena smiled, her cheeks glowing a light crimson as she walked out of the apartment, she couldn't wait to see her new favourite co worker at work tomorrow.

Authors Note:  

Hey I hope you enjoyed that chapter and thank you for all the votes, reads and comments it means a lot!