Chapter 17

Lena sat at her computer running her seventh algorithm to see if this would cure whatever was wrong with Kara. She looked at the blonde's vitals which had to be the most confusing part of the story, they were completely normal, there was no indicators to say anything was wrong with Kara apart from that fact that both Lena and Sam knew that the amount of radiation that must be in that area was a fatal dose, or failing that she would have expected some serious mutations to have formed by now. 

"Any progress?" Sam asked as she walked into Lena's lab, Lena turned round to face her with a heavy sigh, shaking her head as she did so. They both looked at Kara who still looked a little traumatised from Mike's departure a little over forty eight hours ago. and of course Lena couldn't blame her even though she would be unable to count the amount of times she had told Kara how much a waste of space that guy was. The heart wants what the heart wants. And she of all people could understand that. 

Suddenly a light in Lena's eyes lit up, she may have just thought of an idea of how to figure out how the radiation was really affecting Kara's body. Sam looked at Lena curiously, it looked like a light bulb had just been turned on above her head.  Sam raised an eyebrow as she waited for Lena to reveal her no doubt crazy scheme. 

"I have an idea but you're not going to like it." Lena said seriously as she walked towards a wardrobe, which she opened to reveal a radiation suit. Sam's eyes widened as she saw Lena take it off the rack. 

"Are you crazy? You can't go in the cage Lena! It's the only thing keeping the radiation at bay, as soon as you open the door the radiation could flood the lab!" Sam argued, her arms folded, she knew Lena would think of something crazy, but she thought common sense would prevent her from even thinking that this was in anyway a good idea. 

"Kara opened the door before and the lab's radiation levels are harmless." Lena paused as she began to put the radiation suit over her clothing. "Opening it again wont endanger anyone else" Lena replied. Sam put her head in her hands, she knew Lena to be the most stubborn person she knew, talking her out of this would be near impossible. 

"It would endanger you Lena! The reason why we haven't tried to enter the cage yet even with a suit is because the levels of radiation are to concentrated. The suit won't be able to protect you." Sam said, her voice getting loud enough now for the argument to catch Kara's attention. Lena groaned as walked back to her computer, the radiation suit covering her entire body. 

"Listen, if I can inject Kara's arm with the chemicals we found whilst running algorithm four, as well as wiping her body down with what we found in algorithm six, and taking her straight out of the cage after this, we could save Kara without infecting the lab." Lena concluded, "I just need you to keep an eye on both me and Kara's vitals in case some unknown danger was to occur." Lena said pleadingly, looking at Sam with puppy dog eyes, a technique she used when she was a child to convince the Luthors to give her the last chocolate biscuit, and if it worked on the Luthors it was sure as hell going to work on Sam. Sam groaned as she took a seat at the computer where now both Lena's and Kara's vitals were showing, a constant beep signalling Lena's slightly fast heartbeat. 

"Fine, but if I think that you're in any danger of being infected by radiation im pulling you out, and Lena you better listen to me when I tell you to get out the cage." Sam said sternly, Lena nodded knowing that this was the best deal she would be able to strike with Sam. "Good luck." Sam said, as she turned her attention fully on the computer scree. Lena walked calmly over to the cage, as she opened the heavy door, she had to remember to stay calm otherwise she would loose her shot at saving Kara in the only way she knew how. 

Lena stepped inside the cage and Kara immediately stood up, a confused and concerned look plastering over her face. 

"Kara I need you to stand still okay?" Lena paused as Kara nodded her head, she still had no idea what was going on. "I'm going to get you out of here." Lena paused again as she took Kara's arm in her hand, flicking the inside of her elbow slightly so she was able to find a vein before as gently as she could manage sliding the needle into her blood stream, releasing the chemical into her body. "I promise."Lena muffled. Lena took out the metal slide that was in her pocket, with the synthetic material on it that was meant to lower Kara's radiation levels. Lena started wiping it all over the blondes body as she moved them closer and closer to the exit and to safety, she looked up and saw Sam telling her to hurry up, that must of meant that her own radiation levels were increasing. Lena pulled Kara out of the cage, slamming the door shut behind them, and Lena began to rub the metal slide over her own body. Kara was speechless as she looked around the lab. 

"Kara you still have radiation on your body, thankfully Lena was able to make sure that these levels were no longer harmful." Sam said calmly, taking Kara over to sit at the desk

"Thank you." Kara muttered, her eyes only seeing Lena in that moment, the woman that risked her own life to save hers. How did she ever think she could just live without her.