Chapter 16

Mike burst through the lab doors. as he ran towards the cage that Kara was kept in not only for her safety but for everyone else's as well. He put his hand up to the glass, tears of anger and frustration in his eyes. As much as he hated Lena, and was so happy that Kara had been finally pulled out of her life even he knew that Lena was going to be her best shot in making a smooth recovery. 

"Everything's going to be okay!" Mike tried to say in a reassuring tone, even though he himself did not believe the words that were flowing from his mouth. He never expected to be so scared to lose Kara, he only ever wanted to win her away from Lena, who he was certain still had a massive crush on the love of his life. And he couldn't really blame her for that but he was going to do everything in his power to keep them apart. Kara shook her head, dried tears stained her face, if nit even Lena knew what was going to happen to her she had given up on hope. 

Suddenly Lena and Sam entered the lab, a number of what looked like experimental noted grasped in their hands, as they were desperately flicking through them, trying to find anything that could signify what exactly was going to happen to Kara, but still they were coming up with nothing. Lena stared blankly at Mike when she saw him pressed up against the glass of Kara's new home. Sam gave Lena a small smile, she knew this must be hard for the brunette, having to communicate everything they still didn't know about Kara's status to him. Lena of course knew that Mike was going to take everything out on her for sure. She had to prepare herself for that, she couldn't let him get under her skin, Kara had enough nightmare problems on her mind at the moment as it was. 

"Tell me you have a cure." Mike growled refusing to take his eyes off of Kara's body which was now quivering with fear in the corner of the cage, this once happy girl full of hope for the world was now facing what it meant to live in a reality. Lena shook her head, her mouth dry with fear, thinking about what would happen if her and Sam to finding anything by the end of the week, or day even, they didn't even know how long it would take the radiation to affect Kara, the most basic of information and they had no idea. Mike smashed his fist against the glass, making Kara jump slightly with the little strength she had left, it was hard to tell if this was the radiation or just fear itself. 

Lena frowned, even know and Mike was being just as selfish as ever, letting Kara see his frustration reflected through violence yet again. Sam was about to open her mouth, before Lena stopped her in her path, she wasn't going to let Mike shout at her as well, Sam did not deserve that, she was helping after all and she no way had to do that. 

"Radiation affects everything differently, and this specific group of radiation has never been in contact with human's before in such a concentrated level, and close environment." Lena paused for a second, wishing she had a bottle of water near that she could sneak a sip of to settle her nerves at admitting she basically had no choice but to watch Kara's body and try and guess what was going to happen. 

"So what your saying is she has a death sentence." Mike whispered, Kara of course was still able to hear this, or that's what Lena imagined as she saw a new flood of tears flow down the blonde's cheeks. Lena didn't know what to say as Mike turned back towards Kara his face almost buried in his hands. she had never seen this level of humanity from him. "Kara, I came to tell you that I got a job offer, its a promotion." Kara turned towards him and tried to put on a smile.

"That's brilliant, I'm so proud." Kara said in a monotone voice, her words quieter than ever, as she lowered her head once more. 

"I would have to leave for Iceland, first thing tomorrow morning." Mike finished, the fact that he was telling Kara this right now made Lena seethe with rage but surprisingly with the help of Sam's strong hand around her own she managed to stay silent. "Kara I already said yes to the job, this has to be goodbye." Mike paused a slight tear in his eye, of course had planned to move Kara out there with him a few weeks after he had a chance to settle in and get a nice place for the two of them but in his mind this was now off of the table. "I'm sorry." Mike cried out before speed walking out of the lab, bumping Lena as he did so, almost knocking her over. 

Everyone in the lab was speechless now, no one , not even Lena who despised Mike more than Twinkies saw that coming. Kara started crying again, her body now curled up in a ball as she rocked herself back and forth. Lena motioned to Sam to leave and work on a cure for Kara in her own lab, which of course Sam understood, Kara needed to be with her best friend and her best friend only. Lena walked towards the cage and sat down, it killed her not being able to hold the blonde in that moment, she sat in silence, hoping that her presence alone would be at least some comfort for Kara. 

"I'm sorry." Lena whispered, "I promise I'm going to get you better so we can both go and kick his sorry ass." She saw a small sparkle in Kara's eye as she said her comment. Who knew it would have taken a disaster like this for them to finally make up.