Chapter 15

Kara's heart plummeted in her chest, as she saw the terrified look in Lena's emerald eyes, both of them frozen in time, scared to move. The blonde's breathing became faint and shallow as she had to lean against the side of the glass box to stop herself falling to the floor as she felt herself grow weak at the knees. Kara remembered Lena talking about her radioactive experiments when they were good friends. Usually it would always end in some disaster, and all Kara could think about now was that her fate now seemed to be sealed as Lena's next radioactive disaster experiment. 

Thoughts of Mike began to spin through Kara's mind, he didn't even know where she was today, she didn't want to risk having another argument about her ex best friend and there was no doubt that, that's where that conversation would have ended up. What was he going to think now? Was he going to think that she had just abandoned him? Abandoned the life they were just beginning to build together? They were meant to get married next week. She knew for a fact that of Lena for once in her life wasn't being over dramatic about what this radiation could do to her body that, her wedding date wold have to be moved. And that's if she even lived through this in the first place. 

Kara's mind span out of control and in the end she was forced to lower herself onto the floor as she was now squeezed into a tight corner of the glass box, her breathing so rapid and out of time with the rest of her body. She was gasping for air and the thought of the air being no more than poison was not helping her mental state which was also quickly deteriorating. 

Lena finally pushed her body into motion as she watched Kara slowly but surely begin to fall apart with the idea of radiation poisoning plaguing her every thought. Lena ran over to her desk and pushed the quarantine emergency button, which quickly triggered the fumigation of the glass cage that held the blonde. White smoke filling the glass, as Kara closed her eyes wishing that she could close her mind off that easily. 

The brunette pulled up the statistics of the atmosphere in the glass container as the fumes began to clear and she could see the blonde beginning to cry, not ugly tears, like she would normally do but instead silent crying. She was to petrified to make any kind of noise. Lena's heart dropped as she saw the percentage of radioactive substances that had already started to attack Kara's body. 

Lena walked back over to the box, Kara watched her carefully and she knew the brunette well enough to know that by only the walk whatever Lena was coming to tell her was not good news. 

"Kara. I need to contact Mike and inform him of what happened. Is his number the same?" Lena asked simply, Kara nodded still unable to communicate with words never mind a full sentence. Lena nodded before walking out of the lab, mobile phone in hand ready to tell Mike about how stupid his fiance was. Anyone who was anyone knew not to wonder around a strange lab without a scientist present. 

Kara was surprised by how grown up Lena was being about the whole situation, during these past months the brunette seemed to have really matured, or maybe it was just the nature of the situation? Or even worse it could just be the fact that Lena didn't care about her anymore. These past few months had been the worst of Kara's life, although she wold never admit it she really missed Lena. Everyday she wanted to call her, to hear her voice and a little part of her thought that maybe Lena was feeling the same way. But all of her internet stalking had told Kara that Lena had found a new best friend called 'Sam Arias' who also worked here at the lab. So maybe Lena had just forgotten about her completely, or at least was trying to. 

A few moments later Lena walked back into the lab, wiping away a few stray tears that had made her way onto her slightly blushed cheeks. 

"Mike is on his way." Lena said simply, her voice croaky, and eyes looked red from crying, her make up slightly smudged although she looked as perfect as ever, like a Van Gough painting. Kara nodded slightly, she wasn't even sure if thats what she wanted, all she knew is that it should be what she wanted. Kara's electric blue eyes watched Lena bending over her desk stretching to reach the computer, carefully reading some sort of scientific thing, it was to far away for Kara to see properly. 

Lena turned around to see Kara staring intently at her, she missed that little adorable face, with chubby cheeks and blonde hair for days. She had never imagined a life were they were separated by heart ache and heart break but here they were. 

"Lena, what's going to happen to me?" Kara asked quietly, her voice cutting in and out, Lena just about managed to understand the sentence. The brunette walked over to the glass container, and sat on the floor beside it, the two woman were as close as they could be, the only thing separating their bodies was the sheet of protective glass. Lena sighed leaning her head against the glass. 

"For the first time in my life I have no idea."

Authors Note:

hey guys I hope you enjoyed that chapter and thank you for all the votes, reads and comments it means a lot!