twenty-six

Twenty-Six: Tyler Osmond

AFTER successfully parking my Explorer, I got the paper bag at the back and smiled when my eyes caught the yellow sticky note attached to it. Vanessa and her thing with quotes.

'Whatever you decide to do, make sure it makes you happy.'

Napangiti ako. I thought I was already doing that.

I sighed as I remembered Vanessa. I'd truly miss her company. I don't know, after that night in the bay, something's really shifted in us. Or maybe, it was just me. Gusto ko lang maging totoo. To be an open book when I was with her. Share her my thoughts, my feelings. No inhibitions.

I just wanted to make the most of every single moment I got to spend with her

To be honest, I was never been this content with someone's company. This couldn't even be compared with the time I spent with a throng of girls I had my dirty version of good time.

At kung dati ko pa nalaman na ganito pala ang feeling ng may kaibigang babae, baka noon ko pa ito sinubukan.

Yet still, I frankly don't know if it'll gonna be the same with others.

I just knew it's different with Vanessa. It'll always be different with her.

Then I remembered how she easily accused me going to date casually again. I shook my head at that memory as I thought that was not going to happen anytime soon.

My phone beeped. I got it from my pocket and looked at the message and saw it was from Ate Teriz which read: 'Where are you, my dear brother?'

I smiled at it and didn't bother to text bsck. Pinatay ko na iyong makina saka lumabas na ng sasakyan. I walked to the gate and rang the doorbell. And soon after, it opened. Pero hindi ko inaasahan ang nagbukas n'un.

"Tyos!" Haru elatedly squealed as he went in for a hug. "You're here!"

I ruffled my nephew's hair. "Did you miss me?"

He looked up and meet my eyes. "Yes, times two times one hundred times one million."

Natawa ako. "Where did you get that?"

He shrugged and stepped away from me. "Just from my playmates." Then his eyes lit up. He reached out his hand and the next thing I knew he was already holding the paper bag. "Is this for me? What are these?"

"Truffles," sagot ko. Agad na lumiwanag ang mukha niya kasabay ng pagbilog ng bibig. "Share that to your mom and Nali. Speaking of them, where are they?"

"Tara! Doon sa loob," ani Haru saka nauna nang naglakad papasok.

Sumunod naman ako doon.

"Tyos is here!" sigaw ni Haru nang makapasok kami sa front door.

At hindi nagtagal nang mayroion akong narinig na mabibilis na yabag. Sunod ang medyo matinis na boses, "Tito Tyos!"

I smiled at Nali and welcomed her hug too. "Where's your Mom?"

"Kitchen," tipid niyang sagot nang humiwalay sa akin.

I started to walk to the kitchen but halted when I remembered something. I looked back. "I brought some truffles. Na kay Haru na." I looked around and her younger brother was nowhere to be seen. "Tell him to share it to you."

Nalukot ang mukha na Nali. "Oh no! He must be eating it already."

Pagkasabi noon ay agad na siyang tumakbo at nagtungo kung saan ang alam ko'y pinuntahan din ni Haru.

Itinuloy ko na ang pagpunta sa kusina. I smiled as I saw Ate Teriz preparing the dishes. She was so into it that she was even humming into a song.

Tumikhim ako. Agad na napunta ang tingin niya sa akin.