thirty-eight

Thirty-Eight: Tyler Osmond

THE first week of my operation winning Vanessa's yes was...okay. That's the only proper adjective I could find to describe it.

For a week, I brought her different breakfast. Siyempre, lahat bili lang since I can't still cook. Hinahatid ko pa rin siya hanggang sa harapan ng building nila. Never in her classroom because she always insisted I was going to be late if I did that.

But our lunch together was not consistent since she has to eat lunch with her friends and same with mine.

Nevertheless, so far, so good. But honestly, I still don't know where will I get that yes. Kung malapit na ba o hindi. But that's okay, I'm willing to give Vanessa all the time she needed to think it over. Ayaw ko rin namang madaliin ang lahat.

Today's Saturday and I was actually planning something special for Vanessa and me. Kaso, ang Daddy, nagpatawag ng biglaang family bonding sa bahay. And since Ate Teriz and the kids were going, it was a no no to decline Dad's invitation.

And Vanessa wouldn't agree too that I would ditch our family bonding just to be in a date with her. And I couldn't be in her bad side right now.

Good thing there's a mobile phone. Kahit hindi kami magkasama ngayon, I could still feel she's here as we exchanged messages.

Vanessa: If I were to babysit your pamangkins too, I'd do it any day. They are just too adorbs. Should you focus on watching the kids right now? Anyway, why do you keep on texting me? You're not doing a good job, Mr. Villaruiz.

My lips automatically curled up after reading that. I bit my lip, stopping myself from smiling more. Damn. I've never knew that a simple text like this could affect me so much. Especially that last part.

I shook my head disbelievingly. Ilang beses ko na bang narinig na matawag ako sa last name ko. And this time it was merely a text yet it was making me feel so much.

Ugh. Am I really turning soft for her?

I started to type back a reply: I can't help myself. Can you blame me? I'm just missing you so much.

And I was about to hit send when my phone was pulled out of my grip. I looked up and like a lightning, Haru already ran away. And he was laughing like a maniac at me.

"Haru, give me back my phone."

Umiling-iling siya. "I don't want to, Tyos. You're ignoring us because of this." Napanguso pa siya. "Who are you talking to?"

"Read it," malakas na sabi ni Nali na nakaupo sa katapat kong sofa, abala pa rin sa coloring book niya.

At kung hindi ko lang ba narinig nang malinaw, iisipin kong guni-guni ko lang na nagsalita siya dahil sobrang focused niya sa ginagawa.

"I can't see it now. Tyos' phone is locked," sagot ni Haru sa nakakatandang kapatid. Then I saw him tapping something on my phone. "Oh. But there's a picture of a girl here. Come and see, ate."