10.

Chapter 10
Communication is the key.

ANAAYA

"Anaaya." I heard Hassan's calm voice as I shut my eyes even more tight. I didn't want any more drama. I was already tired and it had only been a week.

I wanted to go home. My back was turned against him but I could feel the weight shift on the bed as he sat on the edge. His hands touched my waist.

"I know you're awake." He whispered. I defiantly shut my eyes, not willing to open them at any cost.

"Get up and eat something." He said a little loudly this time, turning my body towards him that caused me to open my eyes in panic.

"I don't want to." I murmured, trying to move back to my earlier position.

"Stop acting like a child." Hassan exclaimed, putting the tray on the side table and making me feel like I was some student getting yelled at by my teacher.

I jolted up from the bed, sitting on it's edge now. He wants to talk, now?

"As if you've been very mature for the past week." I shot back at him and he simply sighed.

"Don't start on that." He said. Why not? Jerkface.

"Why not? In the time that we should spend together to know each other, you have simply shut yourself out for no reason." I argued.

It was true though. How could we get to know each other when he was simply shutting himself off?

"No reason? You lied to me, Anaaya." He declared. That wasn't even a big deal. Why was he so hung up on this?

He felt like I lied to him because I got nervous that day. I suddenly wanted to explain what had really happened.

"I didn't lie. I wanted to tell you and I was going to but Hiba stormed inside in that exact moment and then at the reception, I didn't want you to know from Ahmad and that's why I said what I said to him-" I rambled but then inhaled a deep breath, not wanting to seem like a fool.

"The point is that you could have talked it out with me. Instead you simply shut me out. I'm your wife, not your client." I explained calmly this time.

My mother had told me that if there was anything bigger than ego, then it was marriage. If you want to develop a relationship with someone, you have to make the initial compromise. You do it once and your partner will do it for the rest of your life.

Marriage is a team work. You have to put in an effort, you have to clear your misunderstandings.

I never had much ego to begin with,  neither did I have an attitude. I had judgement problems, for sure but honestly, I just wanted people to trust me and understand me as a person, I wanted them to treat me as equal, instead of looking at me as if I was their follower.

That was the only thing that bothered me when my mother in law told me all about the family traditions. She wasn't being rude, she was just talking to me about what she expected from me but I didn't like that either way.

The same way I wanted Hassan to understand and trust me, to not dictate me, to treat me as an equal but how could he understand me without me explanining my side of the story?

I glanced at him.

"I have never appreciated liars. No matter what the situation, I don't like when people lie to me." He simply said, not bothering to look at me.

"I'm not a liar, alright? I told everything to you instead of hiding it. If I was a liar I would have hidden it all." I continued.

"And he's my best friend! I can't just stop being friends with him because you're not friends with your ex!" I exclaimed, suddenly feeling overwhelmed.