25.

Vote and comment y'all.

Chapter 25
A brother's comfort

Anaaya.

I sat in my room thinking and contemplating what ever had happened. I didn't understand how and why something like this would happen to Rania.

She was a sweet child as far as I knew her. She hadn't done anything wrong in her life. Yes, she made a mistake but so what? We all make mistakes. Why was she punished so brutally for something that she had committed at the age of seventeen?

I typed away on my laptop, too angry at what had just happened.

Sometimes things happen in life and sometimes you have to get over those things what is really important is to learn from those mistakes.

I didn't understand why Azlaan had slapped her like that and why nobody even cared to stop.

And when I went out there trying to stop something wrong that was happening I was told to go back into my room.

By my own husband.

He might have stood up for me by asking his brother to leave but at the same time he also asked me to leave knowing damn well that I was right.

His sister deserved better. Azlaan had no right to be so insensitive.

Rania was hurt badly and all he cared about was his stupid honour.

What was this honour that all men seemed to care about so much? Honour was the purity of a woman’s spirit. Honour was the respect that a woman deserved from a man. Honour was the perception, the rightful perception of a man and a woman. Honour wasn't just losing your virginity.

Why was our society so fucked up that a woman automatically lost her honour the moment she got raped, harassed or even groped. Shouldn't the men who were responsible for committing that, be the ones without honour?

I shut the laptop, slamming it on the couch and laying down.

It wasn't until late night that I decided to stand up from the couch and do something productive about the matter.

Just because Hassan had asked me to go back to my room didn't mean that I had to stay in my room. Yes he was my husband and yes I respected him but at the same time I also respected my values and beliefs.

I wrote columns and articles everyday about women empowerment it would have been hypocritical of me to not help her.

She deserved some help right now. I opened the door to my room, exiting my bedroom and walking towards the stairs, I heard small sniffles and voices coming from the living room downstairs.

I peeked from the railing Rania was sat on the table while my husband was sitting close to her on the sofa. A first aid kit held in his hand and I could see him cleaning off her wounds.

At least he had been kind enough to do that. Nobody was outside anymore,  infact I was sure everybody had already slept

Only Rania and Hassan were in the living room.

I didn't want to go downstairs anymore because it felt like I would be intruding on their private moment.

So I stood there, the view visible clearly. I could see tears in her eyes from above and I could also see Hassan removing them with his thumb.

He asked her what had happened.

Rania let out a shaky breath and then drank a glass of water before holding her brother's hand tightly.