Back

The wolves began to howl as we hurried along. Now my mind was worried about Jacob. What would Paul, or Sam do to him. Paul was a very angry person.

~Narrator view~

Jacob had made it back to the Cullen house. He was worried about Katherine, if one of the wolves on guard had gotten to her. He saw Edward and asked "Did they make it out alright?" and Edward nodded, much to Jacobs relief.

"Yeah. Thank you." Edward assured, reading his thoughts, Jacob nodded feeling a bit better. Now his imprint could feed properly. Her coal black eyes that seemed to highlight her dark lashes, though making her skin seem lighter than porcelain would now be back to their honey gold. For now at least.

~Back to Katherine's view~

We all hunted, taking down bears, mountain lions, Carlisle ate quickly as did Esme before running off to get more blood bags. Emmett and I feasted, knowing they would be safe in town. We'd meet them back here before we made our way our way back home.

But then we got a call from Alice, "She gave birth. She's dead." i'd never heard her use that voice.

"What about the baby?" I ask, I hear Emmett rush to me, listening in closer leaving the mountain lion on the ground.

"It's a girl. Renesmee." she said, before adding "Come home. I'll call Carlisle." and she hung up. We began to run back to the house. I stop as I see a crying Jacob. I stopped next to Leah and Seth. Emmett rushes around the house

"Seth. You and Leah go inside." I tell them and Leah doesn't even protest as I continue, "I'll take care of Jake." and they pass Jacob carefully. I could hear my brother sobbing inside.

I sit next to Jacob, and he looks at me. His eyes were flooded with tears, I almost didn't think he could tell who I was. His face was blotchy and red. "Jake... " I say softly, sympathetically. His best friend just died, a girl he loved.

"She's dead." his voice cracks and I don't say anything as he leans on me. He cries but I just run my hand through his hair. I don't say sweet nothings into his ear, or tell him it's going to be okay. I couldn't lie to him.

It hurt me to see him like this, more than anything. Even when he was gone, it was better than seeing him like this. He was my future, he would never get over this. But he would survive. "She will never be truly gone." I tell him, and then I hear running.

The pack was coming. "Jacob. They're coming." I tell him and he sits up. I quickly stand as I hear my brother yell for Alice and Jasper.

They stand before the stairs, behind Jacob and I. Jacob seems to fuel himself with anger, because he begins to shake, and then quickly turns. His clothes tear apart and he gets in a defensive position, standing in front of me.

The wolves come into view and Jasper states "We're outnumbered." and it was true, the wolves had at least three times our numbers.

"By a lot." Alice exclaimed, Rosalie was inside, assumedly protecting the baby. Seth and Leah were inside, i'm not sure exactly what they were doing.

"I'm not going to let them hurt my family." Edward says and the wolves begin to run at us, we go at them as well. We were being defeated, quickly. I got slammed into a tree by a wolf, I was sitting on the ground as it came close to me. Then it got hit by Emmett, sending it flying.

Esme and Carlisle had shown up finally, we all began to fight. Leah showed up as a wolf, running around the house, a wolf had my leg, making me scream as I flew, landing on the ground. Another wolf came at me, standing above me, my hands on it's chest. His mouth was inches away from my head as I struggled.

Jacob came and bit the wolves neck, pushing him off me as I fought. I joined my family in their little ring they had formed. Seth came flying out the doors as he yelled "Stop!".

Everyone froze, still in defensive positions. "You can't hurt her!" he yelled, angrier than I had ever seen him.

Sam snapped at him as he said "If you kill her, you kill me." he threatened and Sam went at him. Seth transformed, snarling as he snapped at Sam.

Edward stated what all of us were trying to figure out. Jacob went to protect Seth, his stance rivaling Sam's as Alpha. Seth and Leah flanking him, "Seth imprinted." he stated and Jacob stared down Sam.

"Whoever a wolf imprints on, can't be harmed." I state, though unless the imprint tried to go against them, as I had. But I had protected my family against the pack. That explained why I hadn't actually been killed. I was not a great fighter, a wolf easily could take me out, when I was up against the tree, he had time before Emmett had got there. He was guarding me.

"It's their most absolute law." Edward finished as Sam led the pack away, Jacob looked back at me. Seth and Leah stared off at the pack leaving.

We went back inside, Carlisle checked out Bella, saying she was changing. They took care of the body, dressing and bathing it. I spent as much time as I could with Jacob, he was over almost every day.

We were all waiting around, waiting for her to change. She looked like a vampire, now she just had to be one. I remembered the pain was excruciating, mental and physical. You looked back at your life, every detail. But the gift afterwards was worth it. To live forever, to find your mate, to obtain a gift. I sat in the living room with Jacob, standing in the doorway as we waited, like we did everyday. But this time we heard something other than Renesmee, who was with Rosalie and Seth. It was the only other breath, the one we had been waiting for. Bella was back.