Chapter 79

"Miss Malik," Lance began, standing from his seat and pacing over to the podium to stand directly in front of her, "Did you tell anyone what had apparently happened between yourself and my client at the time it had happened?"

Waliyha visibly gulped, starting to appear anxious. She shook her head, "No. Well, it became... public knowledge, but that's because Harry eventually told Zayn."

"So you didn't immediately tell an adult? A parent, teacher, friend?"

She shook her head no.

There seemed to be such thought on Lance's part after every question. It felt as though he was pausing for a hefty ten seconds after each response, perhaps for dramatic effect or maybe he was just thinking everything through so carefully. I could see the cogs turning in his head.

"Is there a reason why you didn't?"

"I... I don't know." she stammered. "I trusted Harry, I didn't necessarily think he'd done anything wrong at the time. I just tried to forget," she answered, almost questioningly. She was desperately trying not to slip up and say something wrong, her eyes searching the room for some indication on how to respond.

"If you didn't think anything cynical had happened, pardon me for being upfront, but what are we doing here?"

"Objection, your honour!" Mr Oliver cried out, bolting up out of his seat and gesturing his hand out towards Lance. Backed up with a, "Confrontational."

"I'm simply trying to piece this all together."

After a silence, Judge Alexander finally decided, "I'll allow it."

All eyes back on the dark haired mastermind.

"I was younger then," Waliyha started with some uncertainty, "Just because you don't understand something as being wrong, doesn't mean it isn't. You know?"

"That's one way of looking at it. So... Have you realised you were a victim over time, or has anyone else influenced your view on that night's events?"

"I mean... B-both? I've learned and changed a lot since then, but other people have put across the severity of it to me as well which has given me a bit to think about."

I could see where these questions were going and internally I was fighting Lance's corner, cheering him on, shouting at him to do his worst. There was hatred seething through me and I wasn't ashamed in the slightest. I could see right through Waliyha and I was just praying that the jury could too - she didn't care in the slightest about what had happened. She was there for one reason alone. I found myself wondering how Harry felt hearing all of this and having to remain silent and just take it. I had every faith in him, and Lance.

"Is there any particular person or persons that influenced you to speak before us today? To come forward after more than three years after the event?" he probed, slowly pacing the varnished wooden floor with his hands held tightly behind his back, the tapping of his shoes echoing throughout the silence. 

Waliyha didn't know what to say, or rather she couldn't fabricate a convincing lie quickly enough without some thought. We knew Zayn was behind all of this, but would she tell the court that? I couldn't think how she could possibly worm her way out of this one.

"My family have supported my decision to seek justice."

Damn it.

It was like she was sitting an exam, trying to remember all the good, juicy stuff to include in her answer to impress the markers. Perfectly rehearsed and scripted phrases floating around in her head, all she had to do was choose the right one.