Syrra

This is not edited btw so feel free to point out any mistakes and I will fix them :)

*********

"What the fuck?" Kaine shrieks and I double over laughing, clutching my aching stomach. He looks at me with panic in his eyes. "Please tell me you can fix this?"

I look at the black splotches appearing on his hands and then at his face again and I can't stop laughing.

"Syrra!" he shouts, his voice going higher.

"Alright alright," I snort. I mutter a few words under my breath and wave my hand. The spots start to fade and Kaine sighs loudly.

"Holy crap this is terrifying," he mumbles. He sits across from me, both of us on the marble floor of the palace.

I grin. "Yeah, you mess up one word and you get a disease instead of a cloud," I chuckle.

"Are there any spells that aren't in Latin? Mine's not exactly very good," he murmurs.

"Yeah there are quite a few, most of them just aren't very powerful or exciting," I shrug.

"Do you think there are any I could do?" he asks.

I think for a moment, chewing on my lip. "Hold on a minute," I say and pull my dagger out from my boot.

I prick the tip of my index finger and use the blood to draw a symbol on my other hand. I reach out into the air until my hand presses against something solid. I grab the book and pull it back, letting it fall onto the ground with a heavy thud.

Kaine's jaw drops and he stares at me. "You literally just pulled that book out of thin air," he mumbles.

"Blood magic, you can do just about everything with it once you learn how," I smirk. I carefully open the book, cringing at the worn binding and stained pages.

"So an experienced blood witch is basically all powerful?"

I shrug. "I guess, but the more powerful the spell, the more blood is required so something like world domination would require the witch to be completely drained of blood so it's not likely for something that dramatic to happen―in this era anyway," I mutter, flipping through the pages.

"What do you mean in this era?"

I look up at him, surprised to see total confusion on his face. "Don't you know how dragon shifters came into being?"

He frowns. "I've never even thought about it. I kinda just assumed they've always existed."

I shake my head with a small smile, pushing the book aside. "Okay, time for a history lesson then."

He grins. "Yay story time!" he says in an obnoxiously high pitched voice.

I snort a little, rolling my eyes. "So, dragons have been around for thousands of years, longer than any other creature. They got along with most but their power made some very jealous―the witches especially. They were angry and afraid of the dragons and so an entire family of blood witches―basically committed suicide―and performed a massive spell that forced dragons to share and manifest their true form within the bodies of mortals. And so dragon shifters were created.

"The first of those dragons still maintained their power and knowledge even though they were trapped inside a human body. So when the shifter died, the dragon became one of the gods. But sometimes those spirits return to human bodies and they are more powerful and hold much more knowledge than the shifters with a newborn dragon. Your mother's dragon is actually one of those spirits, that's why he is so powerful," I tell him.