Kaine

Hey guys this is not edited so please point out any mistakes you see, it really helps me a lot. I hope you enjoy!!!!!

*******

"—they're truly remarkable creatures. If I could be anything I think I'd want to be an angel."

"See I'd want to be a mermaid."

"You mean a merman?" she snorts.

I make a face. "A merman fine whatever, I think being able to breathe under water and having the ability to explore the deep sea and literally go where others can't would be absolutely amazing," I mutter.

She smiles and nods absentmindedly. "Yeah that would be pretty amazing, but I'd still rather be an angel," she chuckles.

My eyebrows furrow. "Okay why though?"

"Well one because they can fly—which you can already do so no wonder you'd rather be a mermaid. But also because they are some of the fiercest warriors I've ever seen. I've never met one in person but I've seen them hundreds of times in my parent's memories—"

"Wait your parent's memories?"

She nods. "Yeah have you ever read that book series the humans are obsessed with? About a boy called Harry something?" 

"Of course I have," I snort.

She smiles. "Okay so you know how they store memories in the little glass vials, well witches that have had practice can do it too. That's where a lot of my history knowledge came from; my parents left me a lot of their memories and my favorites are the ones of the Great War.

"That was the last time the angels were seen in battle and my gods were they magnificent. Each time a warrior won a battle, they were gifted with a golden feather. They wore the golden feathers on their wings to scare enemies and earn respect from their allies," she explains, her eyes glittering.

"Now there was one angel, her name was Rowan Kaltain, that had entirely gilded wings. She was the only one to ever achieve such a feat, undefeated in battle and general of the angels' entire militant force. She was respected by every single one of her troops and feared by her enemies. Just the way she took her place in battle, at the front of the line, proudly displaying her golden wings, was enough to take your breath away," she murmurs.

She glances up at me and blushes profusely. "Sorry, I was rambling again."

I smile, shaking my head. "It's cute. You talk about everything with such passion, it's absolutely adorable," I say, running my thumb along her cheek.

She smiles widely, dimples forming by her lips as she tries to hide it. She turns back to her book and I stoop down to lightly kiss her forehead. 

I sit with my back against a book shelf while Syrra lays on the floor, her head in my lap. She is reading a book in a language I can't understand but she explains it to me.

"So the next chapter is on vampires if you want to keep listening to me read," she says, looking up at me again.

"Or, we could go get something to eat?" I suggest and she leaps to her feet.

"FUCK yes! I'm starving and you guys have the best food!" 

I laugh, shaking my head at her as I stand. "You're such a dork," I mutter, pulling her towards me so I can kiss her.

She grins against my lips then grabs my hand and tugs me towards the doorway. "Come on! I want food," she moans.

"Alright alright, let's go. The traders should have come by yesterday so there'll be a lot of foreign foods in the dining hall. We'll have to eat with the warriors and they can be kind of obnoxious but they're gonna have the best food," I tell her.