Lyzaria

"―a few here actually. They're staying in the tent-hut things just outside the main clearing."

I frown. "Syrra did you say you brought someone here?" I ask, looking up from my book.

"Yes I apologize Queen Zari, I meant to inform you but it slipped my mind. A few of the vampires living on my territory wanted to see the Circle and meet some dragons," she explains.

"This place is turning into a tourist attraction," I mutter. "If they cause any problems they will have to leave."

"They're very docile creatures, all the ferocity and aggression has left them after centuries of being endangered. They wouldn't dare cause any problems, they're too afraid of extinction," she tells me.

I nod and she turns away. A smile crawls onto my lips as I watch her begin to speak again. She sits on Kaine's lap and they face Jaxon and Ash. The boys are all intensely focused, listening to Syrra's stories with animated faces.

I notice Jax is braiding Ash's hair and shake my head a little. He used to help me with Maia's hair when they both were younger. Some things never change, I chuckle.

"You boys should bring some pillows and blankets in here, I'm sure it'd be much more comfortable than just sitting on the floor," I suggest.

"That's not a bad idea," Jax mutters. He stands, dragging Ash up with him.

"You can take some from my closet if you'd like," I say.

"Thanks mom!" he calls as he pulls Ash down the hall.

I turn back to the book in my lap, shifting in my throne. It is mostly black marble but the seat is a plush pillow. I lounge sideways, a blanket shoved behind my back and my legs dangling over the arm rest.

Jaxon comes jogging back a few minutes later right as I finish the book. He drops the pillows and blankets before walking up to me. "Hey mom one of the guards said a hawk brought this for you," he says, holding out a rolled up parchment.

"Thanks," I sigh as I take it from him. I break the seal and unroll it. I instantly recognize my daughter's messy scrawl. As I read through the letter a small sigh escapes my lips.

"Who's that from?" Kaine asks.

"Maia, she's worried your father is going to start getting sick again and wants me to come back for a day or two," I tell them with a smile.

"Are you going?"

"Yeah I miss him, and I'd like to see how Maia's doing with her new responsibilities. Will you guys be okay for a couple of days without me?" I ask.

They scoff, waving me away. "Yeah mom, we'll be fine. I think Kaine and I can handle things around here for a few days," Jaxon chuckles.

I smile, shaking my head in amusement. I step down from my throne with a groan, my body cramped from the awkward position I had been curled up in. I toss the book to Kaine and he catches it, raising his eyebrow at me. "How did you finish it already? You started it like two hours ago."

"It was really good and I'm a fast reader," I say with a shrug. I look over at Jaxon and Ash setting up the pillows and blankets and I have to bite my lip to hide my stupid grin. "Jax? Ash? Can you two come with me really quick? I want to show you something before I leave."

They nod and start to follow me when I pause. "You know what? Kaine, Syrra, you guys can help too, come on," I say.

I lead them out of the palace, nodding at the guards at the entrance. I see Jax and Ash start walking about a foot apart from each other when we step outside and feel a pang in my chest.