Coernix Bypass

Prompto was ripped from his sleep, torn away from his dream and back into the harsh reality. His leg ached in pain and his whole body sore and worn. His mouth opened like a cave, huge and taking in oxygen as he yawned and cleared his eyes. The Chocobo was still loyal at his side, curled up and awake under the morning sun.

The fire was still warm as embers and ash still glowed lightly under the charred wood. Chirping birds filled Prompto's ears and the smell of damp summer air rolled in. He looked around. Empty. He wasn't far from the others, but they could have been anywhere and there was no way they would find him.

A light hum of the Killer Wasps were heard in the distance and the occasional splash of jumping fish echoed in the trees alongside the river. Prompto slowly stood up and grabbed a large branch from alongside him to use as a walking stick. He limped to the edge of the river and stared in, his reflection looking back at him. He was still himself, but he felt different, his body broken and mind destroyed because of who he was deep inside. His hand punched the water, causing it to ripple and his face distorted. A fish got startled and jumped onto the dry land, flopping about helplessly.

"I don't usually take advantage of the weak ones... but I really am hungry..." Prompto spoke to the fish.

His hand grabbed it and picked it up. It still wobbled about, taking its last breaths.

"I'm the weak one too my friend. Desperate times causes desperate measures."

With no mercy anymore, Prompto looked off into the distance over the river whilst adjusting his hands on the body of the fish. His stronger hand positioned behind the fish's neck and the other in front. In one quick motion he snapped its neck and twisted it off, revealing the bones and guts inside.

"We all die in the end." His eyes focused back on the fish. He threw the head into the river and watched it float downstream for a while before sinking beneath the surface.

He limped back to the camp and inspected the fire. It wasn't worth the effort to relight it, so Prompto grabbed his gun and jacket and hopped onto the Chocobo. The fish was raised into his mouth as he took a bite out of it raw, ripping it from the host and grinding it under his teeth.

The Chocobo continued onto the road and Prompto looked back at a memory of his.

The boys were sat at a table in the citadel, planning their trip before they  headed off and out of Insomnia. A large map the size of the grand table was in front of them, revealing every single Nook and Cranny of Eos.

"The world out there is very different to that in here. It's dangerous and we will require to use our survival skills." Gladio explained.

"Wouldn't it be a good idea to get the feel for the lay of the land?" Prompto swirled the map with his index finger.

"It would be an ideal idea, but we don't have the time." Iggy responded.

"We should only be driving from point A to B anyway. Any other stops will be decided on the journey." Noct added.

Ignis sat on the table.

"However, if something were to happen, we require a meeting place. If anyone gets split up we should find a centralised town or village near a river."

Prompto smiled.
"So we can follow the river right? Will always take us to some civilisation and fish locations."

"I see you did listen in my lectures after all.." Ignis was proud.

"I knew that too." Noct lied in a humorous way.

"Of course you did." Gladio stared at him.

Ignis coughed. *ahem*